Looking for suggestions on PCT near Idyllwild

General Palm Springs area.

Looking for suggestions on PCT near Idyllwild

Postby guest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi friends,
Some of you are more familiar with the west side on the San Jacinto's than I am.
I have some friends coming out in June, and really want to hike some of the PCT. I live 100 yds from it, but it will most likely be too hot at the base of the mtn.
There looking for just a day trek.

I've considered something like South Ridge to Saddle Jct. to Strawberry Jct & down Deer Springs, if we're able to do a car shuttle.
But, I'd like to consider a section of the actual Desert Divide by Ansell Rock & Apache pk area, but it seems access is limited. I know the Zed Center got hammered during floods, and not sure if that would be an option, (if we have 2 cars).
We're also open to an out & back too.
They've done Rim to Rim of GC, (4 dy trip), and Havasupai Falls.

Thanks in advance, scott

Re: Looking for suggestions on PCT near Idyllwild

Postby Wildhorse » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Zen is the only short route I have taken.

My favorite part of the PCT near Idyllwild is from Saddle Junction to Red Tahquitz. Starting from and returning to Humber is a good day hike. I enjoy the view from there of the Desert Divide.
Wildhorse

Postby guest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks Wildhorse,
That area seems to make the most sense, (& easiest car-shuttle, if needed). It would also be interesting to show them how the fire came up to the lookout.
And, if we're real lucky, may be able to meet a few late starter, thru hikers, (I know they dig the Red Kettle, as I've meet several in there during breakfast).

At this rate, there will still be snow, ha, more on the way.
ss

Postby Ulysses » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I used to love the hike from Spitler Peak northbound to Saddle Junction then down Devils Slide to Humber Park or further north to Strawberry Junction and down Deer Springs, but I haven't been through there since it reopened after the Mountain Fire. You could also do that hike and add another day or 2 by starting at Hwy 74 near Paradise Corners. It's all very beautiful.
Ulysses

Postby guest » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks Ulysses,

I remember that section from many years ago, although we we're running it, so I didn't get to enjoy the views that much.
I've heard all that section has been repaired, but that might be more of a hike than their up for.

Wondering if anyone knows if there is any access from the Zen Center, (do you need to contact them ahead of time).
Also wonder if Apple Canyon Rd. gets hammered from rains, like were getting, (is it all paved)?
Thxs ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains