11 Year Anniversary Weekend

General Palm Springs area.

11 Year Anniversary Weekend

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Howdy All :)

Took advantage of a brief break in our stormy weather to snowshoe to San Jacinto with Sister Sally and Kirk Cross. The speedy Kalen and Lorette broke in the route to the peak: Sid Davis>Tamarack>Miller saddle>San Jacinto. It was such a beautiful day I wanted to stay out longer, so we headed up through the little forest to the base of the gully near Jean.

At the base of the gully (named "Jean's Crotch" by Indie Jack) -- it's steeper than it looks. The snow was soft and deep in areas, so we made slow progress by kicking in steps, sliding back, repeat... :lol:

Looking at Cornell once we attained the ridge.

Looking towards Jean and the divide.

Turns out three snowshoers followed up the gully with us -- Mike (we've met before) and an awesome couple from San Diego

Heading along the ridge towards San Jacinto.

Captain Kirk -- check out the icicles on the sign.

Notice anything amiss with the location of the sign? Step back too far and you may have a one way trip down Snow Creek.

Happy folks on the peak. I like to walk across the ridge towards to San Gorgonio but the wind was blowing too hard.

The San Jacinto Bunk Bed and Breakfast :wink:

We met many great people on the mountain. Kept leap frogging a group of skiers and took the same tram down with them. The big surprise -- saw them again at Las Casuelas :lol:

Today is the 11 year anniversary of my rescue by RMRU after my snowshoe misadventure. Thanks again to my family, this board and RMRU.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: 11 Year Anniversary Weekend

Postby GoPlayer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Ah, that explains all the foot prints and ski tracks we encountered when we arrived at the peak after breaking trail all morning from the west side. My friend and I came up Marion Mountain Trail. This was my first time up there in winter with snow shoes. Perfect day for it. The only thing that could have made it better would have been meeting Ellen up on that mountain again. I think my last Ellen-encounter :D was last August (?) at the Little Round Valley east end?

Here are some "snow depth indicators" from yesterday:

Marion Trail sign:

MarionSign.jpg

Fuller Ridge trail sign:

FullerSign.jpg

West end sign Little Round Valley:

LittleRoundValleyEntrance.jpg

East end sign Little Round Valley

LittleRoundValleyExit.jpg
GoPlayer

Postby Sally » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:53 pm

What an epic day it was, Ellen! I am so grateful to be able to share these adventures with you.

GoPlayer, sorry we missed you. It looks as though the signs on the west side could use some taller posts. By the end of this next storm I doubt the signs will be visible at all! Congrats on your first snowshoe trip to San J Peak!
Sally

Postby TectorGorch » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am

What an honor to finally meet and accompany Ellen and Sally on what can only be described as a PERFECT day to snowshoe to the summit. My wife and I couldn't have done it without the path laid down by them and Kirk because we wouldn't have imagined any human could ascend that steep a gully in deep, soft snow moving two steps up, one sliding step back.

We loved it...miles of smiles FOR SURE!!

Don and Diane
TectorGorch

Postby tekewin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Super beautiful photos. Wow!
tekewin

Postby zippetydude » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Wow, 11 years already?! I remember it like it was yesterday, getting the call from Kathy, everyone mobilizing to go up and search along Sid Davis, knowing somewhere along the route was a very cold Ellen. I still look back and wish we could have saved you that second horrific night in the ski hut, wondering when help would ever show up. And wasn't the only food sardines? :shock: I'm so glad that you were able to recover so quickly and have been out wandering through the wilderness for this past decade. Beautiful pics, as others have said. With these current storms coming in, it is turning out to be a spectacular year for snow...um...just don't break anything this year! 8)

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains