Recent RMRU Activity

General Palm Springs area.

Recent RMRU Activity

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 am

Two recent rescues by RMRU, Deer Springs Rescue and Search Caramba Area.

https://www.rmru.org

I was pleasantly surprised to see detailed descriptions of how the hikers arrived at their rescue situations. To his great credit, one was by the subject of the rescue himself. Hope this continues. These accounts are educational.
Ed

Re: Recent RMRU Activity

Postby guest » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks for posting this Ed, I always learn something as well, reading beta on rescues, especially, as you mentioned, the first-hand ones.
As you may know, aviation is big on the sharing of this type info, since there's not as many 2nd chances :shock:

That young man who got down around Carumba was most grateful, (no high-fives for the FB page, thank goodness).
He's the type of guy that will become a ranger, EMT, or something related to the outdoors & people.

The rescue around Little Round sounded tough, (actually, they all did, 4 hrs tram to summit & 4 more down, in the middle of the cold night, aarrgghh), Marion Mt. tr. is dicey enough in places, let along with snow & ice & headlamp reflections.

Glad everyone rescued was in fairly good shape. Maybe RMRU may consider a lighter Bivy-bag, (maybe just 1 small tarp etc.), to avoid the need to airlift out, and maybe carried out by someone w/out a main pack? Not trying to 2nd guess these guys & gals, I just know that the helo's are scarce & expensive.

Hopefully folks will be careful on our local mtns. Baldy especially, seems to have turned treacherous the last few winters.

ss

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Is it me, or was he never near Caramba? I'm only responding because I think that Caramba could use a very clear warning sign about jumping down into lower delicious pools waiting for exploration and enjoyment. I went there my first time, saw the beautiful pools, and only avoided being trapped by the drop-offs by a natural warning sense that developed after being tricked by the wilderness several times and finding my way out with extra effort and a little extra energy provided by fear. It seemed to me that if I had just slipped into each subsequent lower pool, after a few jumps I would have been trapped by the accidental beauty and treachery of the surroundings. Has anyone actually scoped it out to see if each new waterpool is fully escapable and the climb back up possible? Just a thought. It's such a beautiful area, anyone could accidentally find themselves trapped if the falls are, in fact, inescapable. I didn't research it thoroughly, so I would like to hear from someone who has carefully evaluated the location. Anyone?

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 am

Hey Zip,
I know of what you speak, (not too many of us "older" ha, folks would be ______ enough to wander down into those falls & pools), as access is tough, which is a good thing.
On the other-hand, younger, adventurous, (usually dudes, Marine-type, no offense), that may, (reading this probably isn't helping, ha, but at least they've been warned!).

I doubt this guy got that far, I'd imagine there's snow until a good way down to Caramba, (isn't it way down around 6 or 6,500 ft.?).
My guess is he may not have been able to follow the old, regular trail, (which must be tough to follow, with it just getting re-opened, and snow being on top of at least the beginning of the descent into that big valley where Laws area is. I wonder if he didn't make it to the actually jct. to turn left, (before Laws jct. to turn left again).
I've been up & down drainage's before those areas to make a more direct route, and wondering if he got into one of those?

Maybe someone from RMRU can shed some light on he was, the photos makes it look fairly flat & Carumba-like.
Anyways, he sounded well prepared, and strong, so all was good.
ss

Postby Ed » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:55 am

I also doubt he was as far as Caramba Outlook, though it is possible. And he was below the snowline, judging from the photo. Still, a long ways to posthole downhill before realizing you should have turned north, not south. A sense of cardinal directions is important. Not that I am in a position to point fingers. I am one of those people who loves the technology of navigation - maps, compasses, GPS - but can still frequently make a hash of it in the field.

What struck me is that he carried six quarts of water. I would have thought one wide-mouth quart bottle, replenished with snow, would have been enough for the hike he planned, the Round Valley Loop.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains