White Christmas Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

White Christmas Skyline

Postby Ellen » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:32 am

Howdy All :)

I started a bit after 6 am to catch the sunrise and not require a headlamp. Being a polar bear, I wore shorts and t-shirt but carried pants, long sleeved Icebreaker, down jacket, gloves, mittens, rain jacket and nicrospikes.

It started snowing in earnest above Flat Rock -- I added a long sleeved Icebreaker, rain jacket and gloves. Traded the gloves for Hestra mittens below the traverse. Diana passed me early on and I was grateful for her footprints on the traverse -- I was in a near whiteout and her tracks made route finding easier. Due to several inches of new snow over ice, I took my time and was very deliberate with my steps. I'd hoped to take pictures at Coffman's and Grubbs notch but my iPhone was dead :roll:

The tourists were very entertained when I walked into the tram wearing shorts and shedding snow :lol: My tram family at the bar kindly recharged my phone while I enjoyed an excellent cheeseburger and CVB Monumentus IPA. Enjoyed chatting with two Canadians from British Columbia. Had to wait for a bit to catch a tram down (not surprising due to the holiday and snow). Getting Uber also took some time -- put my down jacket on while waiting. As usual, I was very impressed with the professionalism of the tram staff during the holiday craziness.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: White Christmas Skyline

Postby Ed » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Some people know how to spend Christmas! One of the best Christmases I had was on Ixtaccihuatl. After we settled into the hut, a young Mexican we met on the trail pulled a chicken out of his pack that his mother had cooked, and generously shared it with us. A feast for three, and delicious!

Never heard of Hestra mittens before. Some of the prices on their website are eye-popping! I'm always looking for better gloves and mittens.
Ed

Postby guest » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks for sharing Ellen,
Great pics as always, and of course, looks like the rainbow happened close to Enchanted Garden!, And, maybe your phone died around Thank You Jesus, a sign to just press on carefully, & pay attention. That area can be very unnerving in those conditions, knowing there's drop-offs, gnarly chutes, down trees etc. Of course, we do feel very Alive at those times! Good one you, Happy New Year, scott

Postby arocknoid » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Splendido!

Love the many moods of sky and sun and moon, and hillsides dappled with light and snow.

Cheers!
arocknoid

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains