SBNF opens San Jacinto trails closed by fires

General Palm Springs area.

SBNF opens San Jacinto trails closed by fires

Postby guest » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Good news everyone, even if most is under some snow right now. I think this opens most everything, or oes it?

Pacific Crest Trail, other areas to reopen in San Jacinto Mountains
Areas were damaged by both the Cranston and Mountain fires

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.
United States Department of Agriculture
News Release
For Immediate Release
Dec. 14, 2018
Media Contact: Zach Behrens
(909) 382-2788
zachary.behrens@usda.gov
Facebook: SanBernardinoNF
Twitter: @SanBernardinoNF
U.S. Forest Service
Pacific Southwest Region
San Bernardino National Forest
601 S. Tippecanoe Ave.
San Bernardino, CA 92408
(909) 382-2600
http://www.fs.usda.gov/sbnf
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — A section of the Pacific Crest Trail and the South Ridge Trail, among other
areas, will reopen to the public on Sat., Dec. 15, officials with San Bernardino National Forest announced
today. The news comes on the heels of changes with two fire-related forest orders.
First, the recent order for the Cranston Fire Closure Area will be updated to reflect a smaller footprint.
Secondly, the order for the last remaining closure area related to the 2013 Mountain Fire has expired.
The changes mean the following will reopen to visitors:
 The remaining eight-mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail (#2000) closed by the Mountain Fire,
between Spitler Peak and Tahquitz Valley. This was made possible by the American Conservation
Experience in partnership with the Pacific Crest Trail Association (read about their work here).
 South Ridge Trail (3E08) from the trailhead to Tahquitz Peak.
 Forest Road 5S11 (South Ridge Rd.) to the South Ridge Trailhead.
 The three Yellow Post Sites along 5S11.
 Caramba Trail (3E04), from Skunk Cabbage junction to Caramba Falls, and Cedar Trail (3E16).
These two trails, however, will currently be unmaintained as they have been overgrown since the
Mountain Fire.
The new forest order for the Cranston Fire Closure Area keeps trails and roads around May Valley closed.
It is set to expire July 31, 2019, but may be shortened or extended depending on recovery of the area.

Re: SBNF opens San Jacinto trails closed by fires

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi, Scott,

The PCTA says that the PCT is now *fully* open the length of the San Jacintos. Huzzah! Antsell Rock is now "in bounds" again (best non technical scramble in So. Cal.).

https://www.pcta.org/2018/pacific-crest-trail-open-idyllwild-62925/

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Florian » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 am

Scott, do you have a link to the actual order? I don't see it under alerts & notices on the SBNF site.
Florian

Postby guest » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks for clarifying Jim. I'm sure the thru-hikers, (aka hiker-trash, self-giving name by them, so go easy,,,) will be happy to know this in April & May!

Florian, I can send you the PDF's my friend from BLM sent, which includes a map not sure how to attach here, I think I have your e-mail.
Maybe the website hasn't caught up to the actual order.

It was posted by this public affairs rep:
Zach Behrens
Public Affairs Officer
Forest Service
San Bernardino National Forest, Supervisor's Office
p: 909-382-2788
zachary.behrens@usda.gov

602 S. Tippecanoe
San Bernardino, CA 92408
http://www.fs.fed.us
Caring for the land and serving people

Postby Florian » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:35 am

Scott, yes, send me the order please .. Florian.Boyd at gmail.com
Florian

Postby jfr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 pm

guest wrote:Caramba Trail (3E04), from Skunk Cabbage junction to Caramba Falls, and Cedar Trail (3E16).
These two trails, however, will currently be unmaintained as they have been overgrown since the
Mountain Fire.

Thanks for the good news! Let's hope for a good Winter so there will be plenty of water when I show up at Laws Camp and Carumba next spring! That closure lasted WAY too long...

And let's hope that over five years of untrampled plants haven't completely obscured the trail. We need to get some feet down there, stomping the grasses and weeds into submission. :)
My (collected) trip reports: http://hikingtales.com/
jfr

Postby guest » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:46 am

Hey jfr,
i'm excited to get back into those areas as well, Carumba has some cool small falls & pools, if ones willing to explore a bit.
I like un-maintained trails! Less traffic, for one, but greater chance of folks going off & creating new, ones, I guess. The regular trails in this forest in some areas are not in the best shape, (I realize CCC's & others have been busy with other work, like creating those super labor-intensive flat granite bedrock trails like there building in Long Valley (& have done some in Tamarack & other spots).
Some of the biggest ferns I've seen were in the Laws / Skunk cabbage areas, hope this spring it will be great! ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains