San Jacinto Snowshoe

General Palm Springs area.

San Jacinto Snowshoe

Postby Ellen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Howdy All,

Took the 10 am tram up yesterday with Cameron and Kalen to play in the new snow. It was a beautiful but vigorous day. The late start and heavy/wet snow took it's toll and I called it at Miller Saddle around 2 pm. Made a new friend Tony Purinton on the way up we and descended together. My hiking/Facebook friend Ken Kirtley made the peak -- I posted three of his summit photos.

Climbing out of Tamarack valley.

Abundant rime ice, snow flocked trees and icicles.

After battling our way through deep snow-covered brush, we finally reached this little forested valley (looking back at the Santa Rosa's).

Normally, we head up to the Miller saddle. However, due to the conditions (snow covered rocks/brush), we stayed left. Kalen broke trail up the slope until we joined the trail near the Miller switchback.

I dropped my pack at the Miller saddle and walked over to catch a view of the Coachella valley. Took a short break before heading back down.

Gorgeous clouds on the descent.

See what I mean by inadequate snow cover :wink:

Alpine glow on the Sid Davis route.

My new mountain friend Tony -- another gift from San Jacinto. He is the Chief Lollygagger at Hike it Off Clothing and magazine.

Ken Kirtley took these photos at the summit -- had to share.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ellen

Re: San Jacinto Snowhoe

Postby zippetydude » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 am

Awesome post as always Ellen! How did we miss each other? I went up on the first tram, took a leisurely hike with some meet-up friends, got to the summit in perfect conditions a little after noon, then strolled back down arriving at the tram around 2:00. The thin snow made for some conservative route finding but also for some really cool looking boulders that looked like they had been covered with marshmallow frosting. My phone was in the bottom of my pack, so I did not take any pics of that rare sight, but I hope you had a chance to enjoy it.

BTW, the almost summer-like conditions existed everywhere except the summit. The breeze there made everyone add a layer, only to remove it before Miller Saddle on the way down. All in all a spectacular day on San J. Wish we had bumped into each other and had a chance to hike together!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 am

Howdy Z-dude :)

We went up on Friday to experience "fresh tracks" and less tourists. Unfortunately the late start (10:30) and challenging snow kept me from summiting :( A great day none-the-less.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:02 pm

I have been tempted to try it on weekdays, to avoid the crowds. But at my speed and with short winter days, I would be making it back to the tram around sunset, with no margin for delays.
Ed

Mid-week snowshoeing

Postby Ellen » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Howdy Ed :)

During Christmas week, I think the first tram up is at 8 am. An earlier weekday start (8 am tram) and good snow will help us summit and descend in the daylight. Crossing my fingers...

Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and the bloody blonde :wink: are snowshoeing on the north side of San Gorgonio tomorrow. Hopefully the snow has consolidated -- many friends went up from Southfork over the weekend. The snow was wet, heavy and deep. Stay tuned...

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby pkirkham » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 pm

A little late but it may help with trip planning for people the next week or so....my wife and I snowshoed to the peak last Saturday. We used microspikes to Saddle Junction. From there on up it was ankle to knee deep (unconsolidated) snow all the way up to Wellman's and beyond. In fact, perfect snow conditions for snowshoing I'd say! From Wellman''s Divide to the summit was a slog due to all the people post-holing coming from the tram. It took us just under 5 hrs to summit and about 3 hrs to get back to Humber Park, right at 5 pm. Check out https://sanjacjon.com/ for more up-to-date trail conditions.
pkirkham

Postby tekewin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:21 am

Sweet photos! The snow does look wet.
tekewin

Postby zippetydude » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:29 pm

BTW, I was just looking at the title of the thread and it had me wondering...who's the snow hoe? 8)

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:34 pm

zippetydude wrote:BTW, I was just looking at the title of the thread and it had me wondering...who's the snow hoe? 8)

z

Howdy Z-dude
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Brilliant, thanks for catching the blooper :roll:
Merry Christmas and hope we can snowshoe together soon.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains