Museum Trail erosion

General Palm Springs area.

Museum Trail erosion

Postby pato » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:01 pm

I've been hiking the Museum Trail several times a week since we moved here in the spring. I'm noticing some changes even in this short time and I wonder if any of you in our hiking community share my concern.

A few weeks ago, someone spray-painted a bunch of new blazes on the section leading up to the picnic tables. They also painted blazes for a couple of steeper shortcuts. Aside from many of the blazes just being unnecessary and unsightly (there may be 5 or more on an obvious stretch of just 20 or 30 feet), I feel they have added options that are confusing for unfamiliar hikers. Virtually every time I'm up there now I'm seeing lots of sightseers and visitors way off the original trail, or off any trail whatsoever. These new blazes have also legitimized pathways that were earlier very clearly off-limits. In my opinion, this is resulting in a new, significant erosion, and things are just looking more torn up.

I feel like many of you long-timers have worked hard to maintain our trails (VERY grateful!) and may share this concern. Do any of you agree that the Museum Trail is suffering significantly from the recent blazes? Any thoughts on what we could do to help?
pato

Re: Museum Trail erosion

Postby zippetydude » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:19 am

Hi Pat. Yes, I recently commented about those incessant dots on another thread. It's been the same for years now - though the white ones are less irritating than the fluorescent orange ones that showed up for a while. These are odd, though, in that they are so numerous even in places where the path is obvious. They will probably all disappear in the next few weeks. :wink:

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Howdy Pat :)

Yes, the regulars and long timers are concerned. The graffiti is unsightly as well as potentially unsafe for Skyline first timers. Fortunately, there are many folks on this board who try to cover up dots and other graffiti -- it's a never ending battle :cry:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby pato » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 am

I'm sure I speak for everyone in thanking you all for the work on the trails. I'm happy to pitch in if you're ever looking for more hands.
pato

Postby Mountaingoat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi there,
Pato this Berne Mettenleiter aka Mountaingoat, I hope this is the Patrick the guy from Michigan!
I am planning to do the hike tram to peak on Sunday!?
Let me know what you think, join me if you can, first tram up!
Hi to Trish!
Mountaingoat

Postby zippetydude » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:47 am

I hope to be going up on the first tram too (along with everyone else in SoCal) so perhaps we can meet in person. I'll probably get there real early, like by 7:00, to get in line to make the first tram. After a couple good snows like this it will be a zoo! From the tram cam it looks beautiful up in Long Valley.

https://www.pstramway.com/long-valley-cam/

By the way, after coming back down I may go over to the bottom of Skyline and kill a few white dots. 8)

z
Last edited by zippetydude on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zippetydude

Postby pato » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 am

I hope you guys connect! You're both great guys with similar (very) advanced experience and expert hiking ability. I haven't been up there in the snow and don't yet have the gear/training, so I prob won't join -- but that day will come. Zip, let me know if you want some company later with the dots on the Museum Trail.

Berne, come stay with us Sat night to make the Sun morning start easier. We'd love to see Debbie, too, if poss. I'll text you to make a plan.
pato

Postby Mountaingoat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 am

Good morning Zipmeister and Patrick,

Will be at the tram station between 7 and 7:30 and hopefully make the first tram up!
Look for a San Franzisco Firefighter cap and a short guy! LOL

Berne

Invitation accepted! See you tonight Pat!
Mountaingoat

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains