Painted/Ladder Canyon

General Palm Springs area.

Painted/Ladder Canyon

Postby Ellen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Howdy all :)
Does anyone know if the road to painted/radder canyon is passable? Read that the road was washed out several weeks ago. Marilyn and I met two very nice/fit Canadian women on the way to Wellman’s who’d like. They’re here for about 6 days. I recommended the Indian Canyons as a back up. Thanks for any info.
Mikes of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Painted/Ladder Canyon

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:44 am

I tried once to call rangers to find out. After a couple of hours I gave up. There appears to be no official communication about the matter. I took the chance, and it was fine. I ran into a local guy who said that the road is usually plowed again shortly after a storm, and it's been weeks since that October storm...I would definitely recommend giving it a try, especially if they live thousands of miles away and might not be back for a long time. Were they of the age and fitness to be able to handle the rope ladder section? That is the most fun of all the canyons out there!

z
zippetydude

Postby RichardK » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:57 am

I always wanted to do this hike when I lived in the area, but was discouraged by reports of car break-in's.

From http://www.hiking-in-ps.com/mecca-hills ... nyon-hike/

I have had several reports of cars being broken into and vandalized in the area . While I don’t want to discourage folks from going to this wonderful place, you do need to know that cars have had their windows smashed and items stolen from the vehicles. This area is quite isolated and there is not police presence in the area on a regular basis, so you just need to be aware of the problem, especially on weekdays when there are less people in the area. If you go remember to leave no valuables in your vehicle, especially in plain sight.
RichardK

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 pm

I hear you Richard. If you're back in the area, it's such a fascinating place that I would encourage you to consider alternatives. Maybe bring an extra person along who isn't a hiker and is willing to babysit the car in exchange for buying them lunch afterwards? It's a beautiful area in general, and they could bring a lawn chair and a good book...Or you could maybe Uber in? I'm with you in that finding my car vandalized would spoil the experience, but I am (hopefully) smarter and more resourceful than the vermin that prey upon such sites, so I try to find ways to win even in situations like this. The Mt. San Bernardino trail head parking has experienced similar break ins. I just park 0.3 miles farther away in the restaurant parking lot on Hwy 38, and go without a care in the world. The would be robbers have just "blessed" me with some extra time on the trail and a few extra burned calories. There is almost always a way to win. 8)

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi,
I spoke with a BLM rep, (Mecca Hills is not her area), but said it was still closed. She said to check with BLM office 760 833-7127 for updates.
A heck of a lot of water, sand & debris came down Box Canyon, and with other roads getting hit as well, it might be a while.

Postby David W » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:18 pm

It is "Jeepable" from what I've seen.
David W

Postby Ellen » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks everybody! I gave them the link for this thread -- hopefully they were able to work it out. Also recommended the Indian Canyons as an alternative.
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains