Skyline Rescue

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline Rescue

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 am

A difficult Skyline rescue by RMRU on 10/07/2018. Puzzling to see how you lose the trail here, with no snow. But it happens, I guess. The more usual problem at this point is energy, I don't have the energy to leave the trail if I tried. Obviously this guy had energy. I will be more careful about advising people that route-finding is not a major problem.

https://www.rmru.org/missions/2018/2018-024.html
Ed

Re: Skyline Rescue

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Such a hard rescue and frightening end to a Skyline hike.

It’s one thing to get lost, and another, much worse, thing to get stuck with no good escape on top of being lost.

I agree, this fellow’s energy is impressive.
Wildhorse

Re: Skyline Rescue

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Fatigue can cause people to not attend to obvious signs of the trail. Or, an alternative explanation (which perhaps he wouldn't care to admit) is that he became impatient and thought he could cut up the slope straight to the top, avoiding the lengthy traverse. From below it appears doable and it would be an easy mistake to make. I once hiked skyline with people who wanted to cut straight up, avoiding the traverse, because they thought it would be faster; it was only my insistence that all potentials shortcuts were technical and not feasible for hikers that stopped them.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains