Aedes Mosquitos

General Palm Springs area.

Aedes Mosquitos

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Has anyone encountered Aedes mosquitos in the San Jacintos?

The way one would be mostly to know of such an encounter would be from having a large itchy welt after being bitten. These mosquitos are so small that they are rarely noticed. They don’t buzz around human heads. And the bite is often not noticed until it later turns red, swells, and itches. The itch is unforgettably bad.

LA, Orange Count and San Diego are infested. Coachella Valley is much less so. We may owe thanks to an aggressive defense by the CV vector control agency, coupled with good neighborhood cooperation. And it may have grown so bad in SoCal because LA’s response has been too weak. (Speaking of LA, I guess you have heard about its fleas and typhus, which are also out of control.)

The Idyllwild Towncrier has had a story about the mosquitos, but did not address any local infestation.

It will soon be too cold for them in the high country, but the eggs are able to survive the cold and will be ready to attack when the temperature rises again in spring.
Wildhorse

Re: Aedes Mosquitos

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:20 pm

One time on Skyline I got eighteen mosquito bites. I counted them. :) Can't say what kind they were because no matter who bites me, I swell up. :cry:
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:21 pm

No matter who? :shock:

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 pm

zippetydude wrote:No matter who? :shock:

z

Z-dude :lol:

Cynthia, beware of Dracula, heard he's out and about :wink:
Ellen

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 pm

Ok, that DID sound a little weird. I am seldom bitten by humans, fortunately. Or mammals. I seem to MOSTLY get bitten by mosquitos, though spiders and fire ants and horse flies also seem to find me tasty too. :(
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:37 pm

“Who” is apt for Aedes mosquitos. The personification apt because the species is invasive and aggressive, just like the human species.

Two vector control reps told me that they were almost never bitten until the Aedes arrived. One had sixteen bites itching at the time of our conversation. The other had two. Other people have said they were rarely bitten in SoCal until this summer.

Fjallraven pants made of G1000 fabric may be tough enough to resist them. Clothes treated with Permethrin would likely kill them in four seconds, which is enough time for one good bite. A final meal. Deet may repel them, but a vector control rep told me that she was bitten wearing thick clothing and 93% Deet.

Eventually they will likely transmit Zika, maybe even yellow fever.
Wildhorse

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains