Promoting the C2C and Skyline Trails for Profit

General Palm Springs area.

Promoting the C2C and Skyline Trails for Profit

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:26 am

In an email from an outfitter (A16), the Palm Springs CVB (Convention and Visitors Bureau?) appears to be encouraging visitors to attempt the Skyline or C2C. Just trying to make buck, I guess.

https://www.adventure16.com/blog/cactus ... dium=email
Wildhorse

Re: Promoting the C2C and Skyline Trails for Profit

Postby Florian » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:51 am

Bad timing on the story too as tramway is closed though this coming weekend.
Florian

Postby Ed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:41 am

I've seen material in the A16 store in San Diego on Skyline. I seem to remember something in REI as well, though I am not as sure about that.
Ed

Postby guest » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Thxs for the post Wildhorse,

The issue I see here is CVB has posted a article geared more toward regular, athletic, outdoor folks, who frequent places like Adventure 16, not Coachella Valley tourist, who the CVB directs much of their marketing.
Because of this, the risks & difficulties have been minimizes, (no offense to the author), and can attract some that shouldn't attempt this climb.
To say it's safe to continue on from 5-6k if your spent, or having trouble, is easier spoken than accomplished, (true statement, none the less).
No mention of snow or ice, the numerous, almost monthly rescues, tram closure, challenges discerning the "main" trail from the others, etc.

Well, maybe not just the hotels & restaurants will benefit from Skyliners, but the local hospital too, (plus the increased press for PS!), but, unfortunately, the SAR's guys & gals will be burdened as well.
I'm thinking of setting up a lemonade stand at the picnic benches, maybe sell maps & hats too!
ss

Postby Ellen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 am

Howdy Scott2 :)

I remember joking with you about putting up a sub sandwich stand at Flat Rock after one of our friends hauled out and ate an enormous meatball sub :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby guest » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:46 am

Me too Ellen! No telling how much bonking trekkers would pay for something like that in the middle of a tough climb.
Now, if we can just get SAR's to drop a mini-kegger off the next time they pluck someone off the mt.

I remember being on top of San G w/ my usual energy bars & home-made trail mix, when a guy sitting close by whipped out a perfect Chinese Chicken Salad! I had to stop watching, it looked very tasty.
ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains