Skyline Rescue 9/2/18

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline Rescue 9/2/18

Postby halhiker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:37 pm

From the State Park Facebook page:

At approximately 11:10am on Sunday, September 2nd, California State Parks was notified of an adult female hiker that was struggling on the Skyline Route (Palm Springs up to Grubbs notch). The male and female couple started the hike around 2am then because physically exhausted and couldn’t continue. The location of the hikers was around 5600 ft. level. California Highway Patrol (CHP) H-60 helicopter was called in to assist. CHP located the two subjects and with assistance from State Parks both persons were safely hoisted up. Both persons were flown to Long Valley and transferred to State Parks personnel. Both persons appeared to good condition and were later released. This also will be last rescue for State Park Aide Sam Aguilar who is moving on to bigger and better things has been huge part of this team over the past 12 years, you will be missed! A Big Thanks goes out to crew of CHP H-60 for their assistance.

I guess one good thing about the Tram closure September 10 is that nobody who has no business doing Skyline will be able to do it until October.
halhiker

Re: Skyline Rescue 9/2/18

Postby Florian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:01 am

I'm surprised they flew them up to Long Valley and not down to PS.
Florian

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:03 am

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby guest » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Wow, they spent a Long time on that trail, leave at 2am, (which was smart), but to only get to 5,600 ft by approx. 11am, sounds like this hike was a bit more than they were up for. I took ranger Sam up Skyline for his 1st trip w/ a couple other rangers to familiarize them with the route, Sam was hungover, carry 50lb. pack! He struggled, was soldiers on. I'll miss him, like Jerry, Eric, Sher, Sue, and a bunch more. Be nice if some hangout here for more than a few years!.
Florian, I wonder if that was were command post was set up, since they didn't want anyone hiking from the bottom for the rescue. And / or, if the helo came from Hemet, if would be easier to return via Long Valley.
Let's hope no one is silly enough to attempt this wkend before tram closure, NWS says low Friday night of 85, (sounds like a bit of monsoon returns).
ss

Postby Ed » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am

When I was hoisted off last December, along with a hiker in trouble, we were not far below Florian's (ex-) water cache. We were taken to a parking lot at the lower tram station, where they had set up their center. I believe the people were Riverside County Sheriff's Department plus a CalFire helicopter. Perhaps it depends on who is in charge and resources available. And probably not a critical decision in some cases. The parking lot did have the advantage that they could whisk us directly to a hospital, if that was indicated.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains