Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:24 am

So far I have been unable to find out where the fire is actively burning this morning. Yesterday the active areas were east of Idy below Southridge and maybe as far east as the desert divide. I guess more info will emerge in a couple of hours.
Wildhorse

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 am

Inciweb describes the priority of the firefighters:

"Prioritize structure defense around mountain communities, utilizing existing fuel breaks and fuels treatment areas, roads and advantageous topographic features."

The priority is defense of buildings in communities where the infrastructure to fight fire is built. No mention of wildlife protection or minimization of smoke or minimization of the spread into areas without structures or without fuel breaks. I don't know if the could minimize smoke.

This fire will likely burn until its fuel is exhausted or rain falls.

I wonder if the fire could drop down into Coachella Valley.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:58 am

Wildhorse wrote:Multiple sources, public and private say 5 homes burned in Idy. All were on Deerfoot, which is on the SW edge of Idy.

Inciweb and ABC report sheriff making evacuation of all areas of Idy mandatory, including Pine Cove, Idyllwild, Fern Valley etc. I have not found a published explanation. It does not appear to be fire risk. More likely the unhealthy living conditions. No electricity. No food supplies. Dead cell phones. Etc. Also possible crime or mischief.

SCE says power may be off for a very long time.

When we evacuated a few weeks ago, it was more the loss of power than the evacuation orders. Evacuation orders tend to be conservative. But when you have no light, no AC and no sources of information, you turn conservative very quickly. Or at least I do.

The local TV news in San Diego had a segment on the arsonist last night. Lived in Oceanside when he was a kid, nice house in a nice neighborhood. Neighbors remember him as a good kid. Then the parents divorced and they moved.
Ed

Postby Pitownpi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 am

so given structure protection a priority, i'd assume the fire will run right up to the Mountain Fire Burn?
seems it already has.......

Pitownpi

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks for posting that Pitownpi. Your speculation sounds about right to me.

I don't know if it means anything but about five minutes ago San Jacinto Sheriff's twitter acct posted that they have sent deputies to 'work evacuations in Idyllwild and Mountain Center." Does that mean they are now forcing everyone to leave? A few people have remained. Or perhaps, it's just further assistance in organizing, etc.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:03 am

Pitownpi, I can only see the western part of the fire. The map is cut off. Could be my phone unless it is the website. Where did you find the map? Do you have a link? Thanks for anything you may be able to do.
Wildhorse

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:15 am

The blog sanjacjon.com posted a new update this morning, it's very interesting.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Pitownpi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:47 am

edited...just was trying to put the map...for some reason i got this high res one........or someone is playing tricks...
not sure what's up...
Last edited by Pitownpi on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitownpi

Postby Pitownpi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 am

Wildhorse wrote:Pitownpi, I can only see the western part of the fire. The map is cut off. Could be my phone unless it is the website. Where did you find the map? Do you have a link? Thanks for anything you may be able to do.
smallest i can make it... not cut off on my screen
Pitownpi

Postby arocknoid » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:09 am

Wildhorse wrote:Pitownpi, I can only see the western part of the fire. The map is cut off. Could be my phone unless it is the website. Where did you find the map? Do you have a link? Thanks for anything you may be able to do.

I think Wildhorse is asking about the other map, which is from

https://twitter.com/SanBernardinoNF

(maybe it is now also on the inciweb map page, but earlier they had only four other maps. Here's a link to a page full of other cranston fire interactive map links: https://heavy.com/news/2018/07/cranston ... n-updates/)

Wildhorse, if you right click "view image" you can see the whole image. The forum software truncates and cuts off the right side of some images.

Woeful.

Kudos to the firefighters.
Everyone, stay safe
arocknoid

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains