Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Pitownpi, arocknoid, thank you for the links. I will study them.

Reading the inciweb map it appears that fire has reached South Ridge, the Desert Divide (PCT) and the ridge between Tahquitz and Red Tahquitz. Inciweb reports winds 18 mph and 25 mph gusts blowing east towards Murray Canyon drainages.

I wonder how much force the sheriff will use to get people out of Idyllwild. Dead or alive?

And now we know that the arsonist is a good kid (upper middle class) gone bad.

Fortunately rain may fall this weekend.

I just finished playing basketball in Balboa Park. I'm the adjacent baseball field two fire crews were playing frisbee. Two big red cheerful trucks in the parking lot.
Wildhorse

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 pm

After playing basketball I stopped for coffee. So did the firefighters who were playing frisbee that I mentioned in the last post. It's stressful to wait for the next emergency call, which can happen any time. This fire came upon Idyllwild very fast before passing it by to burn the wilderness.

At coffee I happened to read a couple of articles not related to the fire, but connected anyway in my mind. One was an article in NYTimes about women arrested or accused of neglecting their children or contributing to future delinquency by leaving them unattended, even if only briefly. It is breathtaking. I fully recommend it. The connection to the fire is what the sheriff may be doing now, forcing evacuation. If they find children, they may arrest the mother for neglect or endangerment.

As for me, I was a free range child, and am glad to have had such a childhood. My mother would have given her life to protect me, but she did not need to, and her wild child enjoyed the range. I would surely have known where to hide in the mountains.

Here is the article:

Motherhood in the Age of Fear
https://nyti.ms/2mNQ2Up

The other is an essay in Paris Review about a couple of good (wealthy) kids (Leopold and Loeb) who killed people. The connection, of course, is with the arsonist, although we don't really know enough of his story to compare. I don't recommend this for everyone, or even find the analysis credible, but here is the link for anyone interested:
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/201 ... 3-55582469
Wildhorse

Postby Pitownpi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Jenny Kirchner is live in Gardner Valley on facebook....

seems much better today over here.
the southern flank/Gardner Valley is the hot spot?

https://www.facebook.com/jenny.kirchner ... 432045666/

7pm update 16% 12,300 acres,
looked much better today just in the smoke and ash!!!
Pitownpi

Postby zippetydude » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:00 am

I was happily surprised to see Idyllwild come out unscathed! Apparently that wasn't just luck.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Good for them.

z
zippetydude

Postby Pitownpi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:13 am

the sky looks great today up this way..........yesterday was the turning point,
only gained less than 1000 acres and containment went from 3%-16%
watching that 747 & DC10 footage and the other sights and pics..
.always an amazing flow of information.
i could watch Jenny's live feeds all day long....drop after drop shuttling from Lake Hemet...
I think logistically speaking, this fire had some advantages.
some of those pics of the drops and the guy is above the plane!

Between San Jacinto and San Gorgonio......... not much open to hike now?

well, i can get back to work, try painting a house with ash falling wasn't working out for me!

fires everywhere, some... start and get put out/never make the news and one has to find them online...

Arson really a form of terrorism.
Is it always some mentally disturbed person......or.....conspiracy?
When you think about the cost of a crime, arson gotta be the worse?
easy to commit.......results exponential....devastating.

Just One Spark!
Pitownpi

Postby cynthia23 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:25 pm

It's looking more positive this evening with 29 percent containment, although it sounds like they are still concerned about upcoming winds potentially moving the fire into Idyllwild. Air quality in the valley, while still bad, is not as bad as it was yesterday or day before. Keeping fingers crossed … though still, there is already plenty of damage. :(

Pitownpi, you are right that arson is or could be a form of terrorism. I'm frankly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Wildhorse, thank you for book recommendation--I saw the book on motherhood reviewed in NY Times. I know my own childhood was definitely much more 'free-range' than kids have now.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 am

Yesterday, when I was passing through Temecula, the air was smoky. I wondered if it could be from the San Jacintos, but it was not. A fire was burning in De Luz, between Fallbrook and Temecula.

LA Times this morning has an article about all the fires in Europe, including forty in Sweden, where, shockingly, temperatures have exceeded 90 degrees just north of the ARCTIC circle!

Some say the world will end in fire.
Last edited by Wildhorse on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildhorse

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:46 am

Well, ice sure isn't looking likely, now.

I keep meaning to start a thread discussing the impact of climate change on hiking in Southern California. Bluntly, I think it's pretty much going to end it.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Florian » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:36 am

This morning's (Sunday) fire map shows no intense fire areas. But some hot spots near Tahquitz Peak still have me worried for the tower. However so far our brave little fire tower has survived with flag proudly flying.

Link to fire map .. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF/2 ... 47-CDT.png
Florian

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:57 am

Reports on twitter and from the twitter acct of SB National Forest that the evacuation order for Idyllwild and Pine Cove has been lifted for residents by Riverside Co Emergency Management. Good news IF true (check first!) since presumably they wouldn't be doing this if the fire wasn't under control.

Even so life won't be normal for residents for a while, as SanJacJon's blog suggests that highway 74 will be closed for a long time, perhaps weeks.
cynthia23

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains