Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

General Palm Springs area.

Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Multiple news sources are reporting the fire. It was first reported around noon today. Part of 74 is closed. Doubleview in southwest Idyllwild is being evacuated. Fire is growing fast.
Wildhorse

Re: Cranston Fire in San Jacintos

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:39 pm

I first noticed it around 1--wasn't at first sure what I was seeing as there is also heavy cloud cover (must have been started by a lightning strike). From what I can see now from Cathedral City, it looks super bad. Hope I'm wrong. :(
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Some people on Twitter are saying it's an arson fire and an arrest has (already) been made, but on the other hand, a lot of false information gets posted on twitter. But it looks bad for the town of Idyllwild, that much is clear.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Idyllwild camps are now being evacuated and part of Mountain Center.

Towncrier has ominous photos. I think it also reports that an arsonist has been arrested, accused of setting four fires to begin it all. What a monster!

Cynthia, thanks for the visual report from the desert. I am too far away to see it. I would be even more upset by this if I could see the smoke rising over the mountains.
Wildhorse

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:58 pm

OK, Press Enterprise just confirmed that an arson suspect was arrested--apparently with accelerants in the car.
cynthia23

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Looks super bad. Anyone who is up there should evacuate immediately.
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:23 pm

From the vantage point on a ridge north of southwest Idyllwild, it appears that the fire is now almost at Doubleview. That is the live report of a resident. If so, this is way beyond awful.
Wildhorse

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:33 pm

There's footage on twitter of houses burning. Again anyone up there should evacuate immediately. Personally I would leave now even if you are still a safe distance from fire. Given conditions and multiple points of origin I think all bets are off with this thing. Better safe than sorry. Evacuation center is in Banning, with shelter for both large and small animals.
cynthia23

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Just stepped outside again. Now odor of smoke very apparent here in Cathedral City, and you cannot see portions of the mountain. :(
cynthia23

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Ok they are now ordering all of Idyllwild, Fern Valley and Pine Cove to evacuate--'leave immediately'. Oh this is horrifying.
cynthia23

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains