Stranded hiker in Dry Canyon

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Stranded hiker in Dry Canyon

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:17 am

If Florian is right, the strenuous climb in such heat is amazing. Must be very fit to pull that off.
Wildhorse

Postby Florian » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 am

I agree. Getting to top of Dry Falls in heat is one tough hike. Also comments on news sites keep saying he was stupid to hike in heat. And maybe he was. But that's not why he needed a rescue. He needed rescue because he got himself trapped on a rock face and couldn't get out on his own. Would have been same issue on a 65° day in December.
Florian

Postby hickey » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:53 am

How did he get above Dry Falls?
Tachevah Canyon, right? I read rescue below The Dry Fall...right off the North Lyken.
Sounds like he got trapped in the dark.
I could not find any mention of his being stuck on a rock race...just stranded in a ravine.
Spirit affords all allowances of nature.
hickey

Postby Florian » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:58 am

hickey, looking at helicopter rescue video it looks like he was hoisted from just below top of Dry Falls. I could be wrong.
Florian

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 am

My guess is that he climbed up from Vista Las Palmas after the sun dropped below the ridge, and that he would have made it back down without problem, if the accident had not stranded him. It was neither heat nor lack of water that resulted in the rescue. I would love to be so fit. Very few people are.
Wildhorse

Postby hickey » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:17 pm

"Uninjured, he told emergency dispatchers he was not prepared with enough water, officials said.
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/lo ... 765553002/
Spirit affords all allowances of nature.
hickey

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Reading the article, it sounds like he was unprepared in the sense that he was unprepared to fall into a ravine and be unable to return to civilization in a reasonable time frame. If so, that's only kinda-sorta unprepared. I always prepare what I think is a buffer in case of unfavorable circumstances, but I also have, by unforeseen circumstance, ended up beyond my preparation. Seems like a perfect case for, "And that's why I'm glad we have SAR covering our backs when we go out in the wilderness." BTW, I've never been to Dry Falls. I'd probably like to go explore it this autumn (I couldn't use the word "fall" in yet another sense in this post) - any tips from locals as to how to best enjoy the experience/views/hike etc?

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am

I went up N.Lykken from Ramon, then down into the wash at the base of Dry Falls. A social trail connected Lykken to the base. From there on, no trail. The least steep route is up the right side of the canyon. Very steep on. Footing is very difficult. Only the most sure-footed would feel comfortable and be safe enough to do it. In a group of five, three of us turned back. A fourth should have. All had much ability and experience cross country. Only one really had the ability, and he is the best hiker I have ever known. No doubt others here are just as good, but most of us are not.

The hiker who did this in high heat is truly exceptional.

One in our group that day lived in Las Palmas and he knew a route out of the wash into the neighborhood. I don't remember it. Years have past. None of us had been there before and just found our way visually.
Wildhorse

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains