Re: Round Valley Spring

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 am

Still trickling a couple days ago.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Florian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Friday 6th July pipe flowing weakly at 0.10 gallons per minute. Took 2 and a half minutes to fill a quart container.
Florian

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Is the rate of decline in the volume of the flow of a spring more closely modeled by a linear function or an exponential function? For non-mathnerds that translates as "Does the water steadily follow a pattern of decline until it goes dry or does it begin by declining quickly and then slow more and more until the rate of lessening is almost imperceptible?

I only used the technical terms because I think it probably follows the logarithmic function for some springs (i.e. South Fork over on San G which seems to decline a bit at times, but even in drought seems to settle into a steady flow at some point and does not appear to drop perceptibly after that point) and yet for other springs, such as Columbine (on San B) and Round Valley, the flow seems to follow a steady decline and then disappear altogether. I am guessing the difference is due to the aquifer that is supplying the spring - the smaller the aquifer, the more linear the function and vice versa.

So, does anyone who actually knows about such things have any light to shed on the subject? I am guessing wildly here. 8)

z
zippetydude

Postby whitebark » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 pm

The flow out of that pipe sounds like it is getting too low to be useful. If one want to camp it Round Valley, it might be better to get water out of the meadow's outlet creek. I recall a spot about a quarter to a half mile downhill of the camp area where the creek flows over a little rock ledge that forces ground water to the surface. This spot is very near the trail - 15 feet to the right when heading up from the tram. The flow here is more reliable than the pipe. Someone needs to find the spot and check it out.

-J
whitebark

Postby Perry » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Still trickling today. Somebody left a jug under the faucet, and that can be used to quickly fill water bottles. Smart idea. Hopefully everyone leaves the jug there.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Florian » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Flowing at 0.35 gallons per minute today, 7/13, after yesterday's rains. Up from 0.10 GPM last Friday.
Florian

Postby recordalley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Just dripping today...lowest flow I've seen.
Get out of that damn contraption & walk!
--Edward Abbey
recordalley

Postby guest » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am

Hi,
As many know, the forest got some good rains last week, but sounds like it all soaked into the ground & not the spring-box.

Regarding the ugly pipe, some may be correct re. the CCC's, but another idea is natural flow.
My guess is before the spring box was built, the water coming off the east side of Wellman's & the peak trail, would flow right towards, and in good years into the meadow, helping to keep it a meadow, and not a forest. Maybe the park was attempting to direct some of the "natural flow" over to the meadow with the pipe, where evidence of the flashfloods have deposited a ton of DG from that area.
ss

Postby Florian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:18 am

The pipe was flowing (dribbling?) weakly on Friday (8/3) at 0.625 gallons per minute. Took 2 minutes to measure a pint. I usually time how long to fill a quart beaker but i didn't have enough patience to wait 4 minutes.
Florian

Postby Florian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Pipe only dripping on Friday 8/10. The half gallon container under the pipe was full but would probably take half an hour to refill once emptied. Do not rely on the RV pipe as a water source. Pack in all you will need.
Florian

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains