Possible *EXTREME* Hiking Routes to the PS Tram

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Possible *EXTREME* Hiking Routes to the PS Tram

Postby Florian » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:59 am

Cynthia, you're thinking of the Gordon trail. Comes up from south of Oswit to Caramba.
Florian

Postby guest » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am

Indeed Florian, your one of those old-timers who remembers!

I hiked / climbed it back in the 90's with a couple friends. We could follow it for a while, spending time locating it again, then loosing it.
We finally just navigated according to maps, terrain & easiest route through brush. As with Skyline, it gets tough the last couple thousand vertical, plus, you still have that 1,500 ft. slough up to Hidden Divide & to the tram!

Since the Mt. Fire, I've been tempted to climb it again, but the burn seems to have not reached far enough NW on that area of the mt. It wouldn't be as bad as having to cross-country it from Flat Rock to the trees, (I can't imagine the loss of blood, even if your not Ellen!), but possibly not worth it.
And, there's always the chance you could head up a chute, (think the many after the Traverse on Skyline), and reach a impassable wall.
Too bad there's no Cahuillas, (or others), that didn't use the old trails with their Dad's & Grandfathers.
ss

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks Florian and Guest, I knew you guys would know! Guest, I'm curious, did your route overlook Tahquitz? Always thought it would be interesting to see it from the south side. Was it geologically or botanically very different terrain from Skyline, or fairly similar?

Leaving aside the bushwhacking and routefinding, that's a very good point about heading up a wrong chute. Seems like a lot of possibilities for serious problems.

Somebody, I forget who, told me there's an old trailhead to it starting from the 'stone houses'.

I think part of the intrigue for me is the connection to the historic cattle route. And I agree with you Guest, I wish we knew more about Cahuilla historic trails in this area.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Florian » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:44 pm

cynthia23 wrote:Somebody, I forget who, told me there's an old trailhead to it starting from the 'stone houses'.

That would probably have been me when we were hiking Gastin. :wink:
Florian

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi Guest, was your trip in the 90s done in one day or did you spend the night?

I think of a trip exploring that area as ideal for a couple of nights: one on the side of the mountain and one in the general vicinity of laws. It would take much patience and comfort with the land to enjoy. This is quite different from doing something like Leatherneck.
Wildhorse

Postby guest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi,
Cynthia, I don't remember being far enough north to see much of Tahquitz. I think you get a bit better shot at about 5k on Skyline, plus, as you may know, on a good wet year, if you stop & listen, you can hear the water rushing over the falls in Tahquitz.
Wildhorse, we did it in a day, and didn't start before sunrise, and did make it to the tram before dark. We were all fit, but weren't moving at a crazy fast pace.
2 days would be nice, if you could go lite, during mild wx. I hope the forest service opens up Carumba area soon. Your idea would postpone the last slug up to the the tram till the next morning.
My thought is the route would be somewhat dictated by the burn area, especially between 4-6,500 ft. because of the brush.
ss

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Guest, I imagine your physical skill was as much of a factor as your fitness in what was really a fast ascent through the obstacles in unfamiliar terrain. (My own fitness exceeds my physical skill and that slows me.)

Before the fire I enjoyed going from Humber to an area at the top of Andreas Canyon. From there I could see areas that hoped to someday explore below. In an ideal hike I would have liked to climb up there from Andreas or Oswitt. Or just to hike down a couple of thousand feet from there, explore and then climb back out. So much was lost in the fire that mattered so much to me.
Wildhorse

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks for the details on that, Guest--it sounds so interesting. Florian, of course it was you who told me, my brain just didn't remember that :oops: . Perhaps though that's why this route never developed, as just getting access to it is not that simple. Wildhorse, I agree with you that physical skills, or what you might call 'woodcraft' is essential for making fast headway when going cross-country--every time I try to go cc I spend a lot of time bumbling around ineffectively, unable to quickly sort out the fastest way for moving through terrain. I think it's one of those skills that probably develops our brain in important ways.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Howdy Scott2 :)

I get the heebie-jeebies anytime someone mentions "bush whacking" :shock: I've donated blood when wearing pants, knee high gaiters and long sleeves. Perhaps I could try body armor and carry a chain saw :lol:

Howdy Cynthia :)

Regarding XC route-finding, I hear you. I enjoy going XC but am a better follower than leader.

I remember Walt Norwood talking about wanting to try that route.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby tekewin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Route A has been done, but the people that did it didn't post about it since it is "frowned upon" by authorities.

Your Route B looks like the standard Leatherneck Ridge. Here is Eric Su's report: http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013/03/harvard-peak-san-jacinto-peak-via.html

I am not aware of anyone doing route C.

Good luck!
tekewin

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains