Possible *EXTREME* Hiking Routes to the PS Tram

General Palm Springs area.

Possible *EXTREME* Hiking Routes to the PS Tram

Postby sh44 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm aware of the Leatherneck Ridge that some people opt for instead of Skyline Trail to reach Mt. San Jacinto and the tram. I was wondering about these other canyons and ridges in Chino if anyone's ever done them or heard of it?? I know of the boy who had the search and rescue operation probably took one of the canyons down in Chino, but was wondering otherwise. It appears there's some thick brush in these and obviously very steep rugged terrain, but you gotta assume it will be done eventually, if it hasn't already.

Lastly, I'm sorry, but I'm not liable for any injuries or trespassing that may occur as a result of this. :shock: :shock:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.29.28 PM.png
sh44

Re: Possible *EXTREME* Hiking Routes to the PS Tram

Postby zippetydude » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:23 pm

I like your thinking, many of us have thought of alternative routes and tried them out. I have for some time now been trying to find a path up One Horse Ridge. I have actually found more than one route, but am still looking for the most practical route. That being said, there are beautiful brand new routes in the offing, so keep up your search!

From your posted routes, A and C have obvious advantages but, as you stated, suffer from undergrowth. Route B I have yet to explore but seems promising. Please keep us posted as you explore new adventures on this topic!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 am

I can't say I have ever given alternative routes any thought, since they would be suicidal for me. Is Route B Leatherneck Ridge? As for Routes A and C, I think there would be more problems in those canyons than brush.
Ed

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 am

Route A is closed, I think because the tram towers are nearby. Route B is the telephone pole ridge which a few of the locals do. Route C, I've only heard of a pair of people doing. One of them knocked loose a giant boulder, and for a brief moment the other guy had thought he was dead. I doubt they both climbed the cliff at the very end, probably went to a ridge.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby guest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am

Hi,
Glad you responded Perry. Personally, I don't think this is the ideal place to go into great detail, (I understand SH44 is just gathering info), but the state park, and many on SAR's most likely don't want a bunch of folks getting any ideas. That being said, I've done TP ridge, it's a bitch, my climbing partner almost had a bad fall, we ran out of water, it requires class 3-4 in spots, is very tough, etc.
I think we all need to use discretion on what & how much info we put out on the web, (PM's work good, at times). No offense meant to OP, since this is a good place to see what may be doable & safe, and they may have tons of experince. There is info on this board re. one of 2 of these routes.

Happy & safe climbing, ss

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm

It seems like sh44 is experienced, but somebody browsing this forum might not be. Another thing to consider: It's one thing to do class 4 in a gym or while bouldering. Pretty easy. It's another thing to do it while tired, having muscle soreness or muscle fatigue, and carrying a backpack. Totally different.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby sh44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks Perry & Guest/ss, I totally understand. Was just looking around since I didn't see too much info out there, but I guess I understand why!! Both of you guys sound like you have some crazy stories
sh44

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Perry wrote:Another thing to consider: It's one thing to do class 4 in a gym or while bouldering. Pretty easy. It's another thing to do it while tired, having muscle soreness or muscle fatigue, and carrying a backpack. Totally different.

No kidding! And another thing to descend it, if forced to retreat. You might want to carry a long rappel rope for some of these 'adventures'.
Last edited by Ed on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Postby guest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:06 am

Hi sh44,
No worries, there's many on here that enjoy challenging climbs like you.
If you haven't done Leatherneck, that's more phycial than technical, but tougher than Skyline & longer.
Some begin this in Chino Cyn, (as you noted on map), for a shorter, but way steeper climb than over by Hwy 111, (Windy Point area or south).
As a few here have implied, some of this mt. can suck you in to areas very tough to get out of.
regards, ss

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:39 pm

It isn't exactly an alternate Skyline route since it's on another section of the mountain, but I've always been very intrigued by the old 'cattle route' that was said to go up the mountain *somewhere* above Oswit Canyon--I forget the name :oops: of the route but I know someone here will remember. It *looks* green and pleasant but no doubt is as grueling as any of the others. I don't know of anyone who has done it or even that anyone still living remembers where it was. Please post if you do!
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains