Any Tips for First Time C2C2C?

General Palm Springs area.

Any Tips for First Time C2C2C?

Postby songsta » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm

I completed my first C2C last year and I'm considering a C2C2C next Sat. I'm in fairly good shape and have decent experience in the mountains. I'm hoping to fast hike it.

Would appreciate any tips you might have for a first timer, particularly in regards to when I should start my descent from the tram. The forecast for next Sat looks to be in the mid-90s in Palm Springs and so I would like to avoid hiking down in the afternoon.

I was thinking of starting around 2 am which will be fine for the ascent. I'm wondering if that puts me in the full brunt of the sun on my descent. is there an ideal time to descend from the Notch?
songsta

Re: Any Tips for First Time C2C2C?

Postby drndr » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am

Well I guess it would depend on what your "fast hike" speed is. 3 hours to the tram, 3 hrs to peak and back, 3 hrs down. gets you down around 11. Should be 90 degrees by 11. yes you'll be in the sun. Sounds fun.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby songsta » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:37 am

thanks for the reply. i'm estimating 10 to 12 hours.

Seems starting at 2 am would work and avoid the brunt of the heat.

alternatively, it seems starting at a more reasonable hour, say 8 or 9 am may work too. That would provide weather at the start in the high 60s and bring me to the peak around 4 p.m. (which is the warmest time of the day, around 40 degrees) and back down around 7 to 9 p.m. when the day is cooling (low 80s).
songsta

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:00 pm

If you do that, keep a very close eye out for rattlers. I've seen several this year, and most of them have been grouchy. I seldom see them during the day, but just after sunset is another story. BTW, if you have never hiked back down from Long Valley, it can be tedious. I didn't find it added to the challenge, it just made for a long, slow walk back. It should be a fun experience at least once though, and some seem to love doing the whole thing time and time again. Hope all goes well!

z
zippetydude

Postby songsta » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm

thanks z. good tip on the rattlers. i didn't see any on my first hike thankfully. i wouldn't have thought to look out for them.

good point on the hike back not adding much. i was pretty exhausted after the C2C. i'll take your thought into consideration in deciding whether to make the descent.
songsta

Postby CoachArnie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Hey Songsta I'm heading up for a c2c2c at midnight on Friday. Planning on finishing between 2-3pm Saturday. Wanting to take advantage of the moon and avoiding the heat. But it looks pretty mild on Saturday. Should be in the high 80's when I finish!
CoachArnie

Postby songsta » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 pm

good to know CoachArnie! I'll likely be starting around 8 am on Sat. Look forward to running into you.
songsta

Postby CoachArnie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Cool! I should be at the summit when you're starting! Looking forward to crossing paths my Brother!
CoachArnie

Postby CoachArnie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Hey how did you end up doing yesterday? Would love to stay in touch!
CoachArnie

Postby songsta » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 pm

it was good running into you! yes, I'm all for keeping in touch. would like to join you on an adventure.

you were a beast. it's remarkable how fresh you looked on the way down.

question: did you run any portion on the way up?

i quickly discovered that it wasn't runnable for me. i thought i was gently hiking up but those last two miles before the tram did me in. i decided five and a half hours of huffing and puffing was enough for the day and stopped at the tram. i did run/walk back to my car from the tram which added another 6 miles.

i feel like i got my dose of adventure but it was obviously not anywhere close to a C2C2C.
songsta

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains