Any Tips for First Time C2C2C?

General Palm Springs area.

My Cactus to Clouds to Cactus Adventure

Postby CoachArnie » Wed May 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Great question Songsta! My strategy for all my ultra events is to walk the flats, power hike the hills and jog the downhills. Cactus to Clouds offers very little space for running! But I was able to power hike very well, except for getting lost three times on the way up, which was very exhausting! But my training and other strategies paid off as I was able to aggressively run better than 90 percent of the downhill (To Cactus) and felt amazing! My strength and nutrition was dialed in! I'm currently working on my complete report on this amazing experience! Now that I better know the trail I will be doing it again. Lastly as a 58 year old strength runner, C2C2C is very doable if you properly prepare. If not, stay away! I saw a lot of folks really struggling out there on Saturday! With hard focused work this can be be an amazing adventure!
CoachArnie

Re: Any Tips for First Time C2C2C?

Postby zippetydude » Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am

I'm not familiar with the term "strength runner". What does that entail? Good job on your adventure, glad you had fun. BTW, I agree that for most of us not much is runnable. Still, once you get to know the trail you will begin to find a few pleasant stretches that you can actually run but did not notice on earlier trips. There is a nice stretch a little way past the picnic tables that is fairly flat, and then a place that is about 1/2 mile long at around 4000' that is almost totally level and will let you get into a nice run to loosen up the muscles that have til then been just grinding up steep slopes. There are a couple more places, one just before the Never-ending Ridge and the other one just before Flat Rock that allow a nice comfortable jog as well. They're not long enough to significantly change the time required, but they really feel nice as a change of pace. I especially enjoy the 1/2 mile one right in the middle. It's so refreshing. Keep your eyes out for them next time and let me know what you think!

z
zippetydude

Postby CoachArnie » Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks Zippetydude! I actually coined the phrase a few years ago at a running conference. I'm a strength athlete. My background is powerlifting and football. Although I've been doing triathlons since the early 80's. As an Exercise Physiologist, I love breaking down trails to best figure out how to run them. I spend most of my time walking hills and my strength training is geared towards the next trail/mountain. So, unlike most runners I really don't run that much, although I've successfully done a couple 100 milers! With that I have zero knee/joint issues although I had a total reconstruction of my right knee 40 years ago and love the fact that when needed I can attack a downhill, like Skyline/Museum and have so much fun in the process!
CoachArnie

Postby Ed » Fri May 04, 2018 9:28 am

Zip and CoachArnie,

I think your interchange is making a lot of knees on the discussion board hurt! If I tried to run down Skyline, I would quickly do a face plant on a rock. My left knee was wrecked by a Macquet Procedure in the 1980's, and ever since has wobbled with every step I take. When I ask knee surgeons what they can do about it, they smile or grimace, depending on personal style.

But more power to those of you who can do It! I can remember when I ran up and down the Mt. Wilson road to Henninger Flats, there was virtually nobody else doing it.

Ed
Ed

Postby CoachArnie » Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks Ed! As an Exercise Physiologist I do my best to have my clients avoid knee surgeons! For obvious reasons! I've helped many over the last 40 years avoid unnecessary knee and back surgery. The latest being a 50 year old neighbor who does the Grand Canyon twice per year. Surgeon said "no way!" We did some active release, alignment mobility exercises and specific strengthening movements. She has since in the last year done her normal Grand Canyon trips, Cactus to Clouds. She told me I was nuts to come down! And she threw in a marathon as well! Ed it's all about finding what works and getting healthy first!
CoachArnie

Postby Ed » Sat May 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Wish you had been around at the time, Arnie! I had four knee surgeries, two on each knee, three arthroscopies and the Macquet Procedure. I don't think the arthroscopies did any good. In desperation, I elected the Macquet Procedure as the fourth, it may have reduced the pain, but permanently impaired knee stability. The knee surgeons were the best, the first one did me no good, but fixed up Magic Johnson a few years later, when the largest NBA contract to date depended on it. The physical therapists of those days would be considered sadists today. I went overboard on the weight boot exercises, as a result I have back problems, which I keep at bay with selected exercises.

After decades of being a semi-cripple in chronic pain, the pain went away. I don't know why. The weak, wobbly left knee remains. Strengthening the leg does not seem to make it any better. But I can't complain, I am doing well for my age. But damn, there are some people, like Cameron and Marilyn, who are doing better!
Ed

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun May 06, 2018 8:34 am

Cactus to Clouds is now on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/socalreliable/ ... 5133965146

Pacific Crest Trail Snowcreek on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/karolina.wallb ... 176&type=3
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby CoachArnie » Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 am

Here is the full report of my amazing adventure doing a full C2C2C on April 28th. A truly life changing experience!

http://totalrecoveryarizona.com/content ... -adventure
CoachArnie

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains