Telescope Peak

General Palm Springs area.

Telescope Peak

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Howdy All :)

Marilyn and I joined nine other members of the San Jacinto hiking club to hike Telescope on Saturday. We drove up Friday and camped in the Wildrose campground. It's about 4 K and has water, pit toilets and picnic tables.

Enjoyed hanging out by the campfire Friday evening.

On Saturday morning, our group headed up to Mahogany Flat (this required four wheel drive with high clearance) and started hiking around 8 AM.

The San J crew 8) Who is that idiot in shorts :wink:

Heading up --we traversed along the left side of a ridge for a while.

View to our left.

Now on the right side of the ridge looking towards Telescope.

Enjoying the views to our right.

Time for the microspikes.

Popped out on a false summit and headed over to the peak.

Heading down.

Now this view is on our right.

Back at the Mahogany Flats trailhead.

On the drive back to the campground, we stopped at these enormous hives -- fortunately didn't encounter the gigantic mutant bees :lol: Just kidding, the charcoal kilns.

As we continued down, we stopped for these guys and gals.

The next morning, Kerry displayed his protection against the gigantic mutant bees.

Thanks so much to everyone for a fabulous time. Special thanks to Larry (trip leader) and to Kerry, Beth and Duc for fabulous food.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Telescope Peak

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Speedy Skyline regulars taking the trail? Tsk, tsk! Well, I've done it that way as well, a few times. Once in the winter, we nearly lynched our leader for navigation errors, but could not find a tree tall enough. The charcoal kilns are an excellent place to spend a windy night. Telescope Peak is one of my favorites, I've always thought of the summit as a great place to have your ashes spread. Love everything about the place, including the wild burros.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains