Trail conditions for C2C in April

General Palm Springs area.

Trail conditions for C2C in April

Postby KJoshi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:51 pm

We are planning hiking C2C near April 19-20. Any updates on trail conditions. How was the snow this year? Would we need crampons? Cam shows some snow dust at Tram...
Thanks in advance fellow hikers
KJoshi

Re: Trail conditions for C2C in April

Postby danpenksa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:58 pm

I haven't been up recently, but can offer that this year was a very light snow year. However, March did bring snow to the area. I'm not sure how much remains at this point, but if I were to guess, your dates will probably be fine assuming no more meaningful accumulation between now and then. Almost certain you wouldn't need crampons, and microspikes may not even be warranted by then.

Again, others on here way more familiar with the trail than I, but wanted to throw in my two cents to get the convo started. I may head up this weekend and will report back if I do.
danpenksa

Postby danpenksa » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Checking back in. I did a full C2C2C hike on Saturday. There was some soft snow/ice on the trail around 9000-9500 ft. I brought Microspikes and didn't even consider pulling them out of my pack to use. Had trail runners on and trekking poles and that was more than enough. Trail was very easy to follow even with the snow and traction was not an issue. I'd suspect the trail will be even better in a couple weeks when you're out here, barring any unexpected weather.

Enjoy!
danpenksa

Postby KJoshi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi Danpenksa:
Thanks for the update. You must be a mountain goat to do a full C2C2C. I will admit, am beginning to get nervous about C2C. What was your climb up time and total time...
KJoshi

Postby danpenksa » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm

This was my second time doing C2C2C (first time was fall 2015). I came in just under 17 hours round trip, which included a trio of 20/30 minute stops to eat and take in the scenary. Certainly hours and hours slower than the ultra guys and gals out there, but I'm happy with the time. I got to Long Valley ranger station in a little over 6 hours. My time down was way slower than expected, as I was hurting pretty good with about 5-6 miles left and my pace at that point slowed considerably. I felt great throughout the C2C portion; it's the climb down from the Tram/Ranger station that has really worked me both times.
danpenksa

Postby danpenksa » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:38 pm

BTW, I believe I lost my black iPod Nano and white Apple ear buds on the trail so if by some crazy chance you find it...
danpenksa

Postby songsta » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 am

Danpenska, you got me interested in completing a C2C2C next weekend. I've done a C2C. what was the weather like from the tram station to the finish? was it partly the heat that made it difficult?
songsta

Postby danpenksa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

The weather wasn't much of a factor at all. There was some relatively light rain during my hike to the summit from the ranger station and back to the ranger station, but no big deal. Was a little warm on the way down as the sun was setting, but far from an issue. Most challenging part for me is simply losing so much elevation over such a relatively short distance on the way down and at the end of a very long day. I've only done this twice, and there are many others on here with much much more experience with this thing, but let me know if you have any other questions. Definitely a very rewarding day.
danpenksa

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains