More asinine graffitii on Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Re: More asinine graffitii on Skyline

Postby Florian » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm

There was a green spray paint arrow at top of Lykken trail from Ramon this morning. I tried to cover with some rocks. I only did the little loop around the picnic tables so don't know if arrows continued further up trail.
Attachments
arrow.jpg
Florian

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Howdy All :)

Heading up Skyline tomorrow with Miracle Marilyn (taking advantage of cooler temperatures) and will see if the shitweasel has returned.

Went up with DrPyro last Thurs and experienced Tourette’s on the trail as we headed up the red ridge to 5 K. The shitweasel had painted “6 miles” on two rocks about 5 feet apart :x :x :x

Looks like the same paint (same perp?) in St. Florian’s photo :evil:

Aargh,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 pm

I know I'm in the minority here, but hear me out. Let's say that this individual means well. He (yes, that's sexist, but us guys do have a tendency to mark things...) might respond positively if someone could post a note for him at the museum trail entrance stating something like, "To whomever is marking the trail with spray paint: We assume you mean well. Probably you don't want anyone to get lost and are trying to post guidance and encouraging markers of progress along the way. That being said, this is a wilderness trail and any markings are almost universally considered a bad idea. That is why all your markings have been covered up. Please join with us in protecting the wilderness and keeping it pristine. If you would be so bold, you could even write "Ok, I didn't know..." on this note. In any case, we're hoping to find the trail free of markings in the future. Thanks for your help."

Just a thought. If I had been so silly as to think I was helping with spray paint marking, I would be embarrassed at being reprimanded and appreciative at having it done so gently. Yes, he could be a jerk, but he might also simply be trying to help. If the marking continues after a note like that is posted, I'll jump in with the $#!+weasel crew. But it just might work. : )

z
zippetydude

Postby Ed » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 am

I agree with Zip. My natural reaction is to engage in what Ellen so rightly calls Tourette Syndrome manner. But Zip's suggestion is probably more constructive, and his assessment of the perpetrator - more misguided than malicious - may be accurate.

By the way, I saw no trail markers last Friday. Admittedly, I was not looking for them with eagle eyes, I was simply focusing on walking uphill after over four months of no stiff hikes. My thanks to everybody who worked on them.
Ed

Postby Sally » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Zippetydude, if every country in the world had you as their leader, there would be world peace!

When I did Skyline yesterday I was wondering if the person with the spray paint trigger finger was getting some kind of a kick out of such a fuss being made over his ( still LMAO over dudes having a tendency to having to mark things) markings. I think that if we quit participating in this discussion, and try Zip’s approach, maybe the activity will stop.
Sally

Postby Ellen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 am

Howdy Z-dude and Ed :)

Sally wrote:Zippetydude, if every country in the world had you as their leader, there would be world peace!

Great suggestion Sister Sally 8)

Went up Skyline again yesterday to take advantage of what will probably be the last cool day for a while. On the way up to Rescue one, saw a rock painted with "2 miles" and an arrow in green paint :?

Posting a note at the Art Museum TH gently asking the person to cease and desist is an excellent idea.

Apparently other Palm Springs trails are being marked -- Oswit and Araby :cry:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Today I saw 2,3 and 5 mile green markers, plus a couple of green arrows. I don't remember seeing anything a week ago. Perhaps they were there and I didn't notice. Or perhaps this guy is stubborn and willful, and won't take a hint.
Ed

Postby arocknoid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy Z-dude and Ed :)

Sally wrote:Zippetydude, if every country in the world had you as their leader, there would be world peace!

Great suggestion Sister Sally 8)

Went up Skyline again yesterday to take advantage of what will probably be the last cool day for a while. On the way up to Rescue one, saw a rock painted with "2 miles" and an arrow in green paint :?

Posting a note at the Art Museum TH gently asking the person to cease and desist is an excellent idea.

Apparently other Palm Springs trails are being marked -- Oswit and Araby :cry:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

hear, hear, Zip, Sally, n Ellen

and here's a little Django "Sheik of Araby" segue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jwvS0mHwo

(Ellen, did I ever email you some of the music archives?)

kind regards,
arocknoid
arocknoid

Postby Pyrodude » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am

I'm rather discouraged and angry, to say the least. It took 4 trips up Skyline, with some volunteer help on 2 of them, to get rid of all the horrific graffiti.

Today I went up to Rescue 1. I encountered 3 new large arrows--- as well as a new thick "2 mi" sign. This violator is obviously a regular now. I fear he has retagged everything that we cleaned up all the way to FlatRock again. Florian noted one of the arrows was at the top of the Lykken from the Ramon Rd TH. This paint wielding ignoramus probably goes up the trail from there.

The letter idea is worth doing, but I don't have it in me. If someone wants to volunteer to compose and laminate such a letter and post it at the Ramon Rd and Museum Trailheads that would be great. (The dirtbag may just spray paint them yellow.)

If anyone has any other ideas how to stop this madman from destroying our wilderness trail, speak up!
Last edited by Pyrodude on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyrodude

Postby zippetydude » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm

It has happened enough times that it may be possible to narrow down his customary days and times to hike the trail. If so, it might be possible to catch him in the act. Anyone who has a superzoom camera (or would like to borrow mine) could most likely get a good face shot from a long way off so that we could show both what is being done and who is doing it. If the friendly letter doesn't help, knowing that he will get a few thousand dollars in fines might do the trick. It might also be possible to find out who it is at the trail head. It wouldn't be someone in a large group because at least one person would probably have some sense. It would have to be someone with a fairly large pack since he probably carries more than one can of paint. If someone were to strike up a friendly conversation, saying something like, "Last week I saw some arrows someone has painted. It really helped me find my way. I'm hoping to run into the guy so I can thank him." If the person claims credit, then that's our suspect and all we have to do is get some pics of him and let him know that then next painting will result in huge fines. Perhaps even figure out which car is his and leave copies of the pics along with a friendly warning note. We don't want this to turn into a war of wills so that he starts marking defiantly everywhere, but we just may need some leverage.

z
zippetydude

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains