More asinine graffitii on Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

More asinine graffitii on Skyline

Postby guest » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Hey folks,

A friend mentioned there's, sadly, once again some marking on Skyline, 5-6k area, is what they remember.
It looks like the nasty, (maybe glow in the dark shit), lime green, hard to remove, lovely.

Anyways, if anyone is going up, if you could do anything to either remove, (doubtful), or cover up, that would appreciated by 95% of those that hike the trail!
Apparently, one rock is movable with a couple strong bodies.
BTW, at this writing, you hit snow around the Traverse in the trees, and it wasn't difficult at all, but if it doesn't melt off, some could turn to ice.
It saddens (& madden's a bit), to see heartless people creating such natural destruction, when it's so unneeded, unwanted & illegal. Regardless of how many people hike this route, it needs to remain wild & pristine, as it has been, for the most part.

For every Sh%thead on the trail, there are 100 of us that will keep it beautiful.
peace, ss

Re: More asinine graffitii on Skyline

Postby Ellen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am

Howdy All :)

Graffiti AGAIN? :x :x :x
'
Heading up Skyline tomorrow. When this has happened before, some folks were able to remove the graffiti with paint remover and wire brushes. Other times, the graffiti was sprayed over with "granite" spray paint.

Recommendations? I'm happy to do what I can tomorrow.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby guest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am

Hi Ellen,
I'm sure your already finished a sipping a brew at the Mt. bar.
A few of us did the wire brush / acetone treatment several years ago around the 4,400 ft. area, but it was still tough to get off.

Let us know if you were able to do anything, unless you were busy dealing with this wx system that's still hanging around!
ss

Postby Perry » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Has anybody tried these products at Home Depot?

Very toxic:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Off-18 ... /202676194

Less toxic:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter ... /205552884
One commenter said he removed paint from rocks in a park and it also took a wire brush. I'm skeptical because it's less toxic, but he posted before and after pictures.

Here's a guide I found:
http://www.noahsnet.com/what-chemical-i ... -graffiti/
The methylene chloride products are nasty. Some people can quickly die if they inhale too much of it. I would imagine that inhaling a little is also bad, even if you don't drop dead.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy All :) Recommendations? I'm happy to do what I can tomorrow.

I think photos would do. Might be a better project for people hiking down from Long Valley. 5-6k seems to be a very peculiar section of the trail to think markers have any value. Not that I want to see them anywhere.
Ed

Postby zippetydude » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 am

5-6 k? I'm with you Ed, that is a weird place to decide to place markings. Scott, where were they exactly? Before Florian's bucket location? Around Flat Rock? Or lower on the Never Ending Ridge?

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi Guys,
My friend, (many know her), may have mentioned the area where we, (Zip, Steve Fern & others), removed & hid some a # of years ago at the 4,500 ft. area, so maybe it's a bit lower than I originally mentioned. I know what your referring to re. 5-6k, not a lot of rocks, more ribbonwood etc.

Maybe Ellen will chime in, if she went up, with photos, hopefully.

Perry, I use Krud Kutter at times around the house, but like you, I'd doubt it could do much against tough spray paint, (maybe w/ wire brush).
ss

Postby Ed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

The Mt. San Jacinto Hiking Club has three photos for a March 18 trip, posted without comment. One of them shows a rock with '5006 feet' painted on it, in green paint.
Ed

Postby Florian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Here is link to photo that Ed mentioned. Seems you don't need to be a member of the group to view ..

https://www.meetup.com/Hiking-Coachella-Valley/photos/28695461/469380832/#469380832
Florian

Postby guest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 am

Hi Ed & Florian,

Thanks for posting this, that's one of them, I've heard there's 1 or 2 more. I most likely won't be heading up for a couple weeks, but will see what I can do.
ss

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains