Trail conditions/ snow report Saddle Junction/ Round Valley?

General Palm Springs area.

Trail conditions/ snow report Saddle Junction/ Round Valley?

Postby gnosis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi! Planning my first hike in the area from Jan 31st to Feb 4th. Curious on the 1) trail conditions and standing snow/ice, and 2) available water to filter. I'm keeping an eye on weather and precipitation, but would appreciate any direct knowledge.

Planned Route:
Day 1: South Ridge trailhead to Tahquitz Peak to Saddle Junction
Day 2: Saddle Junction to Desert View to Round Valley campground
Day 3: Round Valley back to Saddle Junction via a more westwardly route
Day 4: Saddle Junction back to South Ridge trailhead via Ernie Maxwell trail

Obviously not big miles, but mainly want to see the area and relax in nature.

Thank you.
gnosis

Re: Trail conditions/ snow report Saddle Junction/ Round Val

Postby Florian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 am

I would worry about the traverse east of Tahquitz Peak to the PCT junction. It's a steep north-facing slope. If ice can be very dangerous. Check locally prior to your hike. Jon or Josh at Nomad Ventures (on North Circle drive just east of Idy town center) are usually up on current trail conditions.
Florian

Postby pkirkham » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi guys...just to let you know, Josh has permanently left Nomad in Idy for a new job...Julie has taken over his position and is probably not quite up to speed yet re. trail conditions etc. Jon only works there sparingly these days.
Regarding trail conditions..my wife and I hiked up Devils Slide last Sunday, and then up the PCT north to the junction where the PCT turns left and leaves the San Jac Peak trail (at just over 9K). The consistent snow started about 8K. We didn't use snowshoes or micros (we had them) but would have if we had kept going to the peak. However, this coming Friday's storm is 'predicted' to be much colder than last weeks, with not as much precip but snow down to 4K, so conditions could change quite dramatically!!
Have fun up there!!!
pkirkham

Postby pkirkham » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Also, as Florian states, the traverse from Tahquitz peak north to the PCT junction is very treacherous at this time of year with snow/ice on it...people have died there and I was one of the lucky ones who successfully traversed it in running shoes back in the early 90's when I didn't know any better!!!
pkirkham

Postby gnosis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Great—thanks for the info. We called the ranger station and all we got was “be prepared for snow” and “don’t burn the place down”.
gnosis

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains