New Years Eve C2C

General Palm Springs area.

New Years Eve C2C

Postby raynalifts » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi all,

I am planning on doing the C2C on 12/31 to finish out 2017 but am wondering how well-marked the Skyline trail is? I did the C2T in early October with friends, and the tram to summit a few weeks after that. I plan on doing the C2C on my own, but had the luxury of being a “follower” back in October. The weather looks good for that day, and I’m confident in my physical ability - my biggest concern is getting off trail in the dark. Perhaps I should start the hike relatively later (5:00-ish in the morning?) and end the hike in the dark? I recall the trail from the tram to the summit being very easy to follow. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Rayna
raynalifts

Re: New Years Eve C2C

Postby clazarus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Rayna, I am a climber from Oregon out visiting family and this has been on my list to do for a long time. I plan on tackling it on the 30th. I can’t do it on the 31st. If you could go a day earlier I sure would like to do this with you. I am willing to leave anytime on the 30th if you are interested.
Cathy
clazarus

Postby raynalifts » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Cathy! I wish I could do it on the 30th as I’d love the company!! I’ll be in San Diego that day, though. :-( I’d love to hear how it goes!
raynalifts

Postby brendanklein » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 pm

hey there! thinking about hiking up to the tram to meet the wife and kids. this will be my first time on the skyline trail, i’m pretty fit, hike and run regularly here in north county san diego. was planning on setting off around 5am, expecting to make it by 1pm. does that seem achievable? outside of the basics (water/snacks/TP) anything else you guys would recommend carrying?
brendanklein

Postby clazarus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Well darn, would have been nice. Good luck to you! Did you decide your start time? I’m trying to figure that out too.
clazarus

Postby raynalifts » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Brendan, I think that’s plenty of time! When I did it, a member in our group got quite sick (couldn’t hold food/liquid down) and we still managed it in 7 hours. You’ll have a daylight advantage and cool weather too! Have fun!!
raynalifts

Postby raynalifts » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi Cathyg t! I’m thinking a 4:00am start time so that I’ll (hopefully) finish before the sun sets around 5:00pm. You might be moving faster, though! It’ll be cooler, so an early start time to avoid the heat isn’t really necessary. Can’t wait to hear about it!
raynalifts

Postby raynalifts » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:41 pm

brendanklein wrote:hey there! thinking about hiking up to the tram to meet the wife and kids. this will be my first time on the skyline trail, i’m pretty fit, hike and run regularly here in north county san diego. was planning on setting off around 5am, expecting to make it by 1pm. does that seem achievable? outside of the basics (water/snacks/TP) anything else you guys would recommend carrying?

Forgot to mention that I had 3L with me + snacks/TP/bandaids and that was enough. :-)
raynalifts

Postby clazarus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:33 pm

Hope you had as successful a day as I had out there yesterday, Rayna. I met or hiked with many different people. It was a beautiful day all the way to the summit. The worst part was the hour and a half wait for the tram down last night. Looks like you may have had some clouds out there today.
clazarus

Postby raynalifts » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks, Cathy! It was just beautiful yesterday! Perfect temperatures and mostly clear all the way to the summit! So glad to hear you made it!
raynalifts

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains