Skyline this Xmas

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline this Xmas

Postby MartinT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 am

Hi guys,
longtime lurker on this board, but it's been well over a year since I've been up to Skyline/C2C - Planning on taking a couple family members up Skyline to meet some less-adventurous family at the top of the tram. Looking at the few days after Christmas day. I'm very comfortable with doing this route in any condition, but trying to figure out how much extra stuff I'm going to haul for the first-timers and looking for some beta.

Am I correct in reading that the trail is totally clear of snow and ice?

Has the trail changed any in the last 2 years? (only going to the tram)

Thank you in advance
MartinT

Re: Skyline this Xmas

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 pm

I haven't been up that far in ages, but I at least can tell you it hasn't rained a single drop down here in the Palm Springs area since late August, which is scary and not good. :( I have not seen any cloud cover up there that would indicate any moisture falling there, either. I would be very surprised if you encountered any ice.

The August rainfall was bizarrely torrential, and it damaged and eroded some of the lower portions of the trail, so that it's a bit steeper and rockier in some places. I can't speak to what happened above but am sure others here can enlighten you.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby raynalifts » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm

I’d love to hear what the conditions were like for you, since I plan on doing C2C on NYE! Thank you!!
raynalifts

Postby MartinT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Conditions are about as good as they get; bone dry and well-marked. Did the whole thing in my long-sleeve baselayer, started at 6am and topped out around 1pm. Took my 65-yr-old Father-in-Law who loved his first time up.
MartinT

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains