Parking Garage Across from Art Museum

General Palm Springs area.

Parking Garage Across from Art Museum

Postby rggibbons » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Everyone...I had a really nice Skyline hike Sunday and was just wondering about the big new sign limiting the hours in the parking garage across from the art museum.

I was just about to hit the trail when I noticed it says maximum parking for only four hours and no parking from 3 AM till 6 AM. It was 4 AM when I arrived, so just to be safe I moved my car out onto the street. Has anyone heard of anyone being ticketed or towed, or any idea if it's being enforced? When I first arrived I'd noticed there were far fewer cars in the garage than normal.

Otherwise it was an absolutely perfect day on the trail and great to see some of the regulars and some new folks...Robert
rggibbons

Re: Parking Garage Across from Art Museum

Postby Ed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 pm

I had no problem parking in the garage on Saturday. If the sign was there, I did not notice it. Who owns that garage?
Ed

Postby rggibbons » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Ed...I think it's just a city-owned garage. The sign is real easy to miss. It's on this wall to the right just as you pull in. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in May, the last time I did it...Good to hear you didn't have any problems.
rggibbons

Postby Ed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:57 pm

I've been up three times in the last two weeks, and also noticed few cars in the garage. But the first two times were on weekdays, so I did not attach any importance to it. Once the left hand side was taped off, so I parked on the right hand side for the first time. Hope there are no problems in the future, it does not take that many cars to fill up the spaces on Ramon Road.

I think I remember you from my first time up, Robert, in October 2010. We started out at the same time, and you kindly gave me some assistance the first few hundred feet. Later on Ellen kindly slowed down and gave me some assistance. I must have looked like I needed some assistance. I did, took me two or three times to learn to navigate that section of the trail in the dark.
Ed

Postby rggibbons » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Ed...Oh wow, I think you're right; I do remember that back in 2010 - small world! Just saw Ellen yesterday too!

I do like that garage, and the sign must be fairly new. Has anyone else heard anything about the parking garage or had any issues there?
rggibbons

Postby CatB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi All,
Parked on the street across from the museum this morning & noticed the new posted parking garage restrictions.
The new sign indicates that the maximum allowable time for parking is 4 hours. It also indicates that the structure is CLOSED between the hours of 0300 to 0600. This is clearly targeting Skyline hikers since those are the hours most of us are utilizing this structure. & obviously we are parking in the structure most of the day, let alone just 4 hours.
My questions are, who owns the garage & who put them up to placing these restrictions only on hikers? & is there anything the hiking community can do about it? This probably won't be an issue during the week, but street parking on weekends will be at a premium.
Thanks for any input that can be posted.
-cat b.
CatB

Postby rggibbons » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks for posting, Cat!

As far as I know, I think the garage is owned by the city. When I was there I just parked on the street to the north, Belardo Rd., but I think you could also park around the corner by the Golf Course. At least that's probably what I'll do the next time I'm there if it's too crowded...Robert
rggibbons

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains