summit: Marion Mtn or Humber Park?

General Palm Springs area.

summit: Marion Mtn or Humber Park?

Postby Dan-oh » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:30 am

Care to offer pros and cons for each trail on an extended day hike?

I've hiked into Tahquitz via Humber Park/Devil's Slide but not to San Jacinto summit. As for the Marion Mountian access, I know even less. The on-line resources refer to Marion but don't mention Humber Park. One of my trail books talks about C2C, Humber Park and the tram for routes but nor Marion.
:? So many choices!

Thanks for the input.
Dan-oh

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:14 am

I did the Marion trail to San J on Sunday. It's only 5 miles each way, but it's a tough 5. You climb about 4500 feet or so during the 5 miles, so it's fairly steep. The trail is well marked and there's no snow this time of year.

I've seen the trail completely dry before, but there are several streams right now, though I don't know how long they'll last.

It's a pretty good trail and a hard workout. If you're wanting to get to the peak, the trail from the Tram is much easier - it's roughly the same distance but probably less than half the elevation gain.

Hope this helps.

z
zippetydude

Postby Dan-oh » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:43 pm

Thanks Z.

It sounds like Marion is a real workout but short while Humber Park has the duration I'm looking for. I'll do an elevation profile with Topo! for the real number.
Dan-oh

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains