How much H2O for C2C?

General Palm Springs area.

How much H2O for C2C?

Postby + @ti2d » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:09 pm

This may have posted somewhere on this BB, but I am such a lazy reader. I am curious how much water should I take to hike C2C? On my "training" hikes, I tote a full 100-oz with two 1-liter Nalgenes. Is this enough? I am an intermediate hiker. I know everyone is different when it comes to hydration. I hike San J a lot but I do it the "EZ" way or from the "Other" way. I plan on hiking around April or May. If I don't make it to the "clouds" at least I can have a "cocktail" at UTT. Thank you.
+ @ti2d

Postby AlanK » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Since there is water in Long Valley, you "only" have to worry about that first 11 miles and 8000' of climbing.

Everyone's water needs are different, and needs vary with temperature and hiking speed (you need more water the longer you are "out there"). For myself, I'd say that 100 oz is more than enough for a May hike and 2 liters beyond that (70 additional oz) is certainly more than enough. You're talking about 10 lbs of water, so shedding a couple of pounds would probably help more than it would hurt.

With that volume of water, I would make some of it electrolyte replacement (I like Cytomax, but there are several good products to choose from).

I also recommend taking Cy's advice and getting an early start, especially the first time you try the hike. That can significantly reduce your water needs, along with reducing suffering in general!
AlanK

Water usage

Postby Snowhiker » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Take the extra water and pour it on your head if it looks like you have MORE than enough. It will cool you off and save on water weight. Better to take TOO much water than NOT enough. Good Luck.
Snowhiker

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains