Cornell Peak

General Palm Springs area.

Cornell Peak

Postby robpollard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:43 pm

I've got a trip with my boys (10 and 12) planned next week (21st and 22nd), with a permit for a night in Round Valley. Last year we went up San Jacinto, and the boys made it no problem. This year I was thinking about doing something different, and was wondering about Cornell Peak. Can anyone give me a little info on the climb? Mostly what the cross country is like from the campground (how hard is the route finding, etc.) and the difficulty at the top (class 1, 2, etc.). I saw a rating of class 3 on summitpost, but didn't know if that was the hard way or the easy way.

Any info is appreciated.
robpollard

Cornell Peak

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:25 am

It looks like there is a trail from Round Valley, but I have not taken it. There are class two routes on Cornell but they feel like class 3 because of some exposure. This link might help.
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/27g.htm
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby robpollard » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info Cy. I saw a picture of a plaque related to scouts on Miller (my boys are both scouts). I think we might do that one if Cornell looks like it will be too much for them (I'm more of a scrambler than a rock climber). Might make a good picture.

We met one day after my youngest and I did Baldy. Would be nice to run in to you again one day. Have fun out there.

Rob
robpollard

Cornell Peak

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:46 am

Rob - I remember running into you on Baldy, only neither of us were running :D I will be doing Baldy from Manker Flats with the Sierra Club this Saturday. I dont know yet at what time they are starting. I like an early start.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby phydeux » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:08 am

RP:

There's a well defined trail leading from the west end of Round Valley (from the backconutry ranger station) over to Tamarak Valley. As you approach Tamarak the trail disappears. Its a nice area, since it receives a lot less overnight traffic than Round Valley. Its also a great place for a winter camp. Cornell Peak is easy to find once you get over there.

As for Cornell, its basically a rock scramble until the final 20-30 ft. There are a couple of exposed moves just below the summit which make it a Class 3 peak, and the summit is just large enough for one person to sit on.
phydeux

Postby robpollard » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 am

phydeux,
Thanks for that info. I'm thinking if we get up early enough on Wednesday, we'll head over there to finish off the day and do San Jacinto and Miller the next day.
robpollard

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains