Two missing hikers found in San Jacinto Mountains

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Fri May 12, 2006 12:36 pm

It seems unlikely that a corporate group would use separate rental cars for 43 people. They probably used a bus like most large groups visiting the tram. The question is whether they forgot to do a headcount or pass around a checklist-signout sheet, or if they were hoping that the missing couple would just magically show up back at the hotel.

Desert Sun article:

"They were part of a group of 43 conventioneers who decided to take the tram tour on Saturday."

"Authorities didn't launch a search for the couple until Monday evening because they weren't aware the couple was missing until Allen's sister called the sheriff's department."
Perry
Site Admin

Bus at tram on Saturday

Postby AsABat » Sat May 13, 2006 6:11 pm

Cy, do you think they could have been with the bus tour that was still idling at the tram station when the taxi you and I shared arrived?
Bill
AsABat

Two missing hikers found in San Jacinto Mountains

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat May 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Bill - They could have been. What was the name on the bus? The tram management or the ticket sales person would know.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Perry » Sat May 13, 2006 8:05 pm

This certainly raises some questions. Specifically, what agencies and individuals knew that these people were missing but did not report this?
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sun May 14, 2006 4:48 pm

In my opinion, I do not think the tour bus notified the tram at all. None of the employees I talked to today knew anything about the missing hiker prior to the search, and in the past the tram has been very good at handling missing person reports by making announcements and contacting the state park immediately. As far as the tour group, it is possible there was an understanding that the couple would take a taxi back to the hotel. However, I doubt this possibility because it was not mentioned in the media, and it would most likely have been mentioned because it would easily take the blame off the tour service and put the blame entirely on the hikers.
Perry
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains