Hey Everyone!

General Palm Springs area.

Hey Everyone!

Postby TRumble24 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:33 pm

Hey Guys,

My name is Tim Rumble and I am a CV desert rat born and raised (:D) who loves the San Jacinto mountains. I currently live in Fullerton where I am going to school as a Geology major so that I can spend my life outside working with the Earth. Iv'e successfully done C2C twice from museum to tram, but never mueseum to peak, this summer I hope to complete the full route. I have done lots of other hiking in and around the Coachella Valley. Ok so now that I have been introduced...

I have a question about a trail from the Morongo Valley preserve down to Indian Rd. My parents just moved from a house right on Vista Chino Rd in Cathedral City to a house they built on 2.5 acres in Morongo Valley and let me tell you living up there is beautiful. Anyways, my dad told me there is a trail from the Morongo Valley preserve down to Indian Rd. that is now closed because they are building a housing development / golf course where the trailhead used to be. Does anyone know anything about this that they would be willing to share?

Also does anyone know of any good hiking in Morongo Valley or the high desert in general? Thanks!
TRumble24

Postby Perry » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Hey Tim, this map shows a few trails, including that one:
http://ronslog.typepad.com/ronslog/imag ... ng_map.jpg

I have never been there, but Ron might be more familiar with that trail:
http://ronslog.typepad.com/

The Desert Hot Springs trails have a lot of trash. Some of it is quite interesting:

Perry
Site Admin

Big Morongo Cyn

Postby pranarun » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:12 am

Hi Tim,
I've hiked this trail several times, I perfer to do it from the bottom up, it's approx. 5 1/2 miles w/ about 1k ft. of gain.
Yes, there's a fence on the north side of Indain ave now, I would hop it a little north of the normal start area, which is maybe a mile from Hwy 62, (the landmark is a chain link 20'x20' square that I believe is something to do w/ water, or maybe a pipeline (gas & petroleum run up the canyon).
Hopefully, there's something being negotiated to allow access to this great canyon.
If you do it, stay right (west) in the big canyon all the way.
It's not really scenic, big cottonwoods higher up, willows, birds, and a couple miles of recovering burn area from 2 yrs ago.
pranarun

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains