That big dead tree blocking the trail

General Palm Springs area.

That big dead tree blocking the trail

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 31, 2006 3:30 pm

I, like several others posting here, came across that big dead tree blocking the trail last week. :(

I don't mind carrying a handsaw up there (no chainsaws or axes, too much fire danger) and clearing the way, but I don't want to take away from the rustic nature of the trail if anyone out there would find it offensive. :shock:

So my question, in the words of Howie Mandell, is "Deal, or No Deal?"

I'm okay with it either way. I enjoy that kind of work, but I also appreciate the fact that this trail has a special personality all it's own.

It seems like it would be nice, especially for those brave souls (who are much tougher than me, I might add) who carry packs up with them not to have to crawl through the tree and get stuck and scraped up, but again, I open this up for discussion to make sure it's okay with everyone.

z
zippetydude

The big dead tree blocking the trail

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:23 am

I could not find a way around this tree so I had to step over and under branches. These branches are thin, very dry and brittle and will soon decay. Every one that comes through will probably break off a piece, so I dont think we have to worry about it too much. Thanks for the concern. I personally dont mind if someone uses a handsaw, but I think that there are people that would mind.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:43 pm

Depending on location.Many trails in the SJ area aren't supposed to be maintained whatsoever.That said I've known the trail crews to unoficially work on them to prevent errosion caused by people avoiding obstacles.

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains