Going to the summit for the 1st time on June 3rd

General Palm Springs area.

Going to the summit for the 1st time on June 3rd

Postby Guest » Sat May 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Hello everyone :D I am going to do this with my friend on June 3rd and wanted to find out a little information. I am going to ride the tram up and hike from there. My questions are....

Will there be snow on the trail all the way to the peak?

What special equipment will I need?

Thanks in advance

Postby Mark A. Patton » Sat May 27, 2006 6:41 pm

Hi,

Based on the past few trip reports, the snow has been melting quickly. I'm going tomorrow and will post a short report and photos Sunday night. You shouldn't need any special equipment coming from the Tramway. Just bring water and food. You can refill your water at Round Valley. It's a fun little hike, enjoy!

Kind regards,

Mark A. Patton
Mark A. Patton

Postby Mark A. Patton » Sun May 28, 2006 8:21 pm

It was a beautiful day for a hike. Took the first tram up and left ranger station after filling out a permit at 8:30, back by 3:00. The trail is snow free all the way up. You can walk on some snow patches that still are in the shade if you really want to. :) Also some slushy snow at the peak, but you don't have to climb it to reach the top. Forgot my camera so I can't share any photos. Enjoy your hike on the 3rd!

Kind regards,

Mark A. Patton
Mark A. Patton

Postby robpollard » Tue May 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks for the update. I plan on going up June 21st or 22nd for an overnighter with my boys, and I'm hoping there is still water at Round Valley. Any updates on conditions would be nice
robpollard

Postby Perry » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:58 pm

When I went camping on May 20, the spring was flowing with plenty of water. After a normal winter, the Round Valley faucet will always be flowing late spring and early summer, probably mid-summer as well. Late summer it may slow down to a trickle that is still usable, and fall is uncertain. Of course, that really depends on the winter snowfall (mostly Feb and March) and possibly the thunderstorms in late July, August, and early September. Last year, after a big snow season, I don't recall the water ever stopping. In 2002, the big drought year, the water never flowed at all. That summer you had to carry all your water for camping, and it really added some weight. Hope that helps. Now that we have this message board, it should be a lot easier to get water updates...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby SanJack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:22 pm

We just came back from the Peak. The only special gear needed is sunscreen and a hat. Water at RV.
SanJack
SanJack

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains