c2c

General Palm Springs area.

c2c

Postby jason » Wed May 24, 2006 1:11 pm

question? would like to know some specific infomation on the c2c hike? what are the hardest miles of the hike? is it the last mile or two miles before the tram the hardest? and what is a good gauge for pacing to see how long it is going to take me? for those of you that completed the bottom to the tram in under 5 hours- how long does it usually take you to get to the painted rocks from the museum? thanks look forward seeing some of you on the trail- p.s. can you get away without head lamps if you leave at quarter to five in the morning? thankyou j
jason

Postby AlanK » Wed May 24, 2006 5:09 pm

I think you hit it correctly -- the last mile or two before the tram is the hardest part of the hike. The early miles are steep too, but at leats you're fresh.

The hike from the tram to the summit and back is quite easy by comparison. If I go up just from the tram, it always feels like a good, honest hike, but it seems easy after hoofing it up form the valley floor.

I go up from Ramon Dr., not the museum. I can't remember the time to the painted rocks, but I think it's around half an hour.

We left at 4:42 AM last Saturday and there was certainly no need for headlamps.
AlanK

The hardest part of c2c

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 25, 2006 4:00 am

It takes me and most other people 45 minutes to the painted rocks. The last two miles to the tram are the hardest. There is about 2700 ft of elevation gain when you are tired and the sun is starting to get hot. The last 1000 ft to the tram are in a fair amount of shade just when you need it. When you get to the foot of Coffmans Crag there are 31 steepish switchbacks and your problems are over. :D
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

thanks

Postby jason » Thu May 25, 2006 10:51 am

thanks guys for the information- your definately the c2c gurus- I think cy you should put a log book somewhere just for c2cer's, and then check that weekly- and get some t-shirts made and sell them for people that have done the hike- I'd buy one- thanks again -jason
jason

c2c

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Jason - I have left a log book at the 4400 ft level more than once, but it keeps disappearing, so I have given up on the idea. Now we have this new website which is even better. More and more people will find out about it.
I think the tramway gift shop sells I climbed San Jacinto tee shirts. Not enought people do c2c to make it worth their while.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Re: c2c

Postby Perry » Thu May 25, 2006 6:08 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:I think the tramway gift shop sells I climbed San Jacinto tee shirts.

You've got to be kidding me! That gift shop won't sell hardly anything for hikers. You can, however, buy this postcard if you're too lazy to do the real thing:
Perry
Site Admin

c2c on 5/27

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun May 28, 2006 5:46 am

Yesterday (Saturday) I took seven people up to the tram leaving the museum at 2 am. Five of them continued up to the peak. It was the first time up Skyline for three or four of them. I told them we were hiking on an eight hour schedule, but it took us seven hours and 55 minutes. Just before Long Valley, Andy Hollinger caught up to us and told us he had passed 28 people after he had left at 5 am. The weather was pleasant - at least 15 degrees cooler than two weeks before. There is a new gigantic tree which now blocks the trail. It is very difficult to go around, so you have to crawl right through it.
Cy Kaicener

Postby RJSUSC » Sun May 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Hey Cy,

Hiked up c2c Thursday and had some fun with that giant tree as well! It was my first time up c2c since Labor Day '04, and it felt like the first time all over again! I seriously recommend an early start....I started at 0513, with the sky already light and the sun did a great job of slowing me down later on. Got up to LV in 6 hours though, so I'm happy!
Ryan S
RJSUSC

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains