Roll Call for May 5th so who all is going?

General Palm Springs area.

Roll Call for May 5th so who all is going?

Postby zippetydude » Thu May 03, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm almost for sure. I may be able to talk a friend into meeting me at the top of the tram and continuing with me to the peak. Hope to see some of you out there.

By the way, Kathy, I use a strategy of successive approximation when I'm trying to do a new, hard challenge. I know you've gone partway on up, I think to Round Valley before, right? If you do decide to continue past the tram, that's a victory by itself. And if you pass your previous record spot, even by one step, then you have every right to celebrate and consider yourself an adverturer extraordinaire!

So, anyway, who all is going?

z
zippetydude

Roll Call for May 5th - so who all is going

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri May 04, 2007 3:47 am

I have five possibilities for the first shift at 2.30 am - Matt, Dave, Robie, Cathy Ungar and Don. Kathy, Stan, Doreen and Ellen are starting later. Tim cant make it. Next Saturday outdoorsclub.org have two groups going.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Fri May 04, 2007 6:24 am

I'm going to set my alarm for 2:30 am tomorrow, but it seems to take me a long time to wake-up and get out of the house. Still, this should get me to the Museum around 4 am.
KathyW

Postby Ellen » Fri May 04, 2007 9:14 am

Howdy Z-dude and Kathy,

As Cy mentioned, I'll be there. I'll start between 4 and 5 AM. I look forward to seeing everyone again tomorrow. When I hear that roaring sound, I'll have to differentiate between Z-dude or other fast people passing me and the tram noise :lol:

Kathy -- I look forward to meeting you on the trail.

I absolutely agree with Z-dude that going further than you've gone in the past represents an improvement. Now, if I can just avoid the siren call of the beer as I go by the tram walkway...

I just hope someone else will chase the rattlers away this time :oops:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Weather Update

Postby magikwalt » Fri May 04, 2007 10:08 am

I'm in for the trip on Saturday and will be shooting for the summit as well. Like some of you I have a weakness for the Malt Siren's call at the Tram Bar so this time I'm going with the maltodextron energy mix for the trip. Maybe that will tame my addiction and get me past the ranger's station. My wife Jean has agreed to hike the tram to summit section with me.

Here is the NWS report for 10,500ft:

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Windy, with a west wind 35 to 40 mph decreasing to between 25 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. Breezy, with a north wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
magikwalt

Postby mattytreks » Fri May 04, 2007 10:45 am

Hi Cy and the rest of you all...

Just now arrived in Palm Springs from San Diego and I will be at the trailhead at 2:30AM sharp! I cannot wait :)

Oh, is anyone else going to the Summit and not just the Tram? I'm going for the summit tomorrow.

Right now I'm sitting in the public library just staring up at San Jac in awe...it never gets old. The best mountain in SoCal.

-Matt
mattytreks

Postby KathyW » Fri May 04, 2007 11:18 am

I'm going to try for the summit.

When I get back to the tram station, I'll be calling a cab to get back to the Museum; so if anyone wants to share a cab let me know.
KathyW

Postby cynthia23 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Am I the only lame person who starts at, what to me is the incredibly early hour of 7am? I know you all think I am nuts, but on those occasions when I have somehow started at 3 or 4am, I was very ill on the trail, with severe nausea until around 7 or 8. Working out in the middle of the night literally seems to make me sick. I would rather deal with the heat.

Speaking of which, it seems like tomorrow will not be bad. If there is no low snow and if I am feeling up to it (I haven't been tiptop lately) I will be out there with y'all, albeit four hours behind you. Kiss my car when you get back to the parking lot. It will be the grey 98 Saturn with the cloud of buzzing flies ....
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Sun May 06, 2007 8:32 pm

I agree, these hours strike me as extremely early. I only start early to get done early. I try to be back home by 10:30 or 11:00, maybe catch a late breakfast. Sometimes, though, I just go back to bed instead of dragging my butt out of bed at 4:00 a.m. I started between 5:30 and 6:00 on Saturday, and it was nice to actually be starting in the daylight. Sorry to hear I missed the chance to say hi to you and Walt (he started just after I did) in person. How was your hike?

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains