Trail Conditions: Strawberry Jct, Deer Springs, LRV

General Palm Springs area.

Trail Conditions: Strawberry Jct, Deer Springs, LRV

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:06 am

Has anybody been on the west side recently? I'm thinking about doing the big loop instead of skyline because of the warm temperatures.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 am

I just found an answer to my question on the San Gorgonio message board:
http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/msg/1177420583.html
Perry
Site Admin

Postby magikwalt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Okay, now you got me interested in this loop. Do you suggest clockwise or counter? Any watering points or should I plan on packing it with me?
magikwalt

circumnavigate jean and marion?

Postby jim » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:05 pm

Perry wrote:I just found an answer to my question on the San Gorgonio message board:
http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/msg/1177420583.html

Glad my answer helped someone! By big loop do you mean up MM/DS to
the summit then down through Wellmans and back around via PCT?

That is probably my favorite hike. Haven't done it since last summer
though.

Have fun!
Jim
jim

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Jim, thanks for that post. I ride the tram up, start in Long Valley and take Willow Creek Trail. There is an ultrarunner who does it from the Idyllwild side, including my loop. I definitely like clockwise better. It helps my morale to save the peak for the end. Also, coming down to the tram is quick, so I get to spend more time on the backside of the mountain which I rarely get to see. To me, it's more fun than Skyline, but there is over 4,000 feet of downhill because it's a loop. On the bright side, there's plenty of water in late spring and early summer. Willow creek is a big one. Then there may be water along the PCT section that faces Tahquitz Peak, but it's safer to load up at Willow with enough to reach Deer Springs. Before Little Round Valley there are several creeks. I load up at LRV with enough to reach the tram, but Round Valley is also an option. The weight of the GU's and Thermotabs is really light compared to the water load I haul up skyline. Today I was not so adventurous and just went to the peak from the tram.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby magikwalt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 pm

I've never done the loop and was looking for an excuse not to do the Tram Hike alone again. The loop sounds like the excuse I need. I'll probably catch that first tram on Saturday! Thanks.
magikwalt

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:25 pm

You won't be disappointed! If I remember right, I think I filled three 24oz bottles at Willow Creek (w/ iodine tablets) to reach Deer Springs.
Perry
Site Admin

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains