April 28th

General Palm Springs area.

April 28th

Postby glamisking » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:41 am

I am planning to head up C2C for my first time on Saturday the 28th. My friend and I are planning to leave the museum around 4AM or so and I would love to tag along with a veteran if alone one is willing. Thanks.
glamisking

Skyline April 28

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:32 am

I plan on leaving the museum at 3.30 am with possibly two guys called Paul and Danny. You are welcome to join us.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:47 am

National Weather Forecast Site calls for a high of 96 in Palm Springs on Saturday, so an early start up the Skyline Trail is a good idea. The heat is pretty difficult to deal with on a warm day from Flat Rock to the Trees. I learned that the hard way.
KathyW

Postby glamisking » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:36 am

Yeah I think we could make it there by 3:30. I was kind of worried about finding the trail and staying on the trail esspecially in the dark. Thanks for the invite, I will plan on meeting you then with my friend Josh and myself [peter].

Cy how much water are you taking with the slightly warmer temps? I was planning on 4 liters and refilling at the station before heading to the top if needed.
See ya.
glamisking

April 28

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:40 am

I am taking three and a half litres
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby glamisking » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:45 pm

sounds great!

Does anyone know what trail conditions are to the peak? Should I bring gaiters to wear over my trail shoes?
glamisking

Postby Perry » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:49 pm

I wore gaiters yesterday but it didn't seem necessary. There is a big snow pile in the shade at 10,000 feet but it's solid. If you get there in the early morning or evening there will be small patches of ice.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby gonzo411 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 pm

winter gear like gaiters and cramp-ons are so unnecessary its funny. i know we all like to be prepared and look the part, but, please. this is a simple hike that requires no snow gear at all. do yourself a favor and pack light with only the essentials: water, food, and something in case of bad weather. you will thank yourself.
gonzo411

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Now that it's warm: yes. But last Thursday I rode the tram up in the evening after work, took a headlamp. I went a little past Wellman's and turned around because there were icy patches and I knew that further up it would be even more icy. If we get another storm and another cold spell there could be icy sections in May. But probably not. At this point, the trails are just trails. San Gorgonio has more snow, and the sierras have tons more snow and colder temps.
Perry
Site Admin

be prepared

Postby guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:14 pm

Good point Perry,
The pervious poster likes to go light like many of us, but only packing the "esentials" is not great advise for mtns this time (or any time of year).
I've seen San Jac get rain & snow even in June, with little warning, so it's always a good idea to be like a boyscout & go prepared.
I know many who wish they had.
NWS is calling for a low of 32 on Wed at 9,100 ft., so if you were to get injured or disoriented, you will want at least some basic provisions.

ss

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains