April 21 snow level on Skyline?

General Palm Springs area.

April 21 snow level on Skyline?

Postby Ellen » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:50 pm

To those intrepid Skylies (Zippetydude?) who climb Skyline Saturday April 21, please post trail conditions. My hiking buddy and I are considering doing Skyline to the tram on Sunday. We have crampons and ice-axes if needed.

We hiked up through 2-4 inches of soft, new snow from 7,000 ft to the tram on Skyline last fall. We're wondering if the trail conditions will be similar. We've also been snowed on from 7,000 ft to the tram. Having had these experiences, we don't feel compelled to repeat them :lol:

At least it doesn't look like anyone will have to battle rattlers this weekend :oops:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi Ellen. I'll probably go tomorrow, unless it's snowing or raining. I think it's supposed to clear tonight, but you never know.

About the snow on the trail, I would be surprised if there's enough to be a problem. So far I've seen it up to about 8 inches deep this year, and I doubt this one storm will drop more than that.

I'll use my normal running shoes, but probably wear gaiters to keep my feet dry. And I'm with you on the rattlers, I won't miss them if they're sleeping in.

I'll post conditions if I go.

z

Failure to launch! Woke up with stomach flu, so no help here. Maybe I'll see you on the trail tomorrow if things improve.

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:36 am

I went up to the tram with a friend yesterday -- the weather was perfect. We left at 6 AM. I never got hot or cold and we didn't have to ascend through snow.

Also, there were no rattlers in the manzanita before 7 K this time as there were two weeks ago on Saturday :D Guest -- I think we encountered the same buzztails.

Fernando passed us after the picnic tables. He gave us Doreen's trail report from Saturday -- I hope to meet this amazing woman someday.

All in all, a perfect day in the wilderness.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains