Thoughts About Today's Hike

General Palm Springs area.

Thoughts About Today's Hike

Postby magikwalt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:11 pm

I gave the Museum start another go this morning and came away not liking it any better. Nasty little surprise left by someone about 15 minutes up. Seems like they could have moved it off the trail some. Besides chatting with 4 of the guys from AZ I also was passed by some of the regulars.

Perry went through around 1800ft and I had a chance to spend a few moments with Andy Hollinger around 5000ft. Plus 200 times up the trail and he still has a passion. He cleared brush along the way and stopped mid grade to pickup up a discarded cigarette. He moved up the mountain with an amazing economy of motion.

Somewhere around 6800ft another solo hiker moved past me leaving me with the distinct impression of how slow I am above flat rock and how easily fatigued I get above that point. I finished in a little less than 6 hours but totally exhausted. As I finished off at the tram 2 from the AZ contingent had reloaded and were heading for the summit.

On the tram ride down I chatted with another couple who had also made the hike. A fellow hiker was kind enough to meet them up at the top with chips and salsa. Good friends, great fellow hikers, beautiful surrounds and a great trail.
magikwalt

Postby Perry » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:13 pm

I was half asleep and didn't recognize you at first.
Perry
Site Admin

congrats

Postby guest » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi,
Good job on the hike, 6 hrs is very respectable, hell, just making it to the top is!
Training, eating & drinking are so important on a severe hike like this.
I'm probably the one you saw at 6,800, I train 3-5 days a week, eat & sleep well, and do Skyline most every week, so don't feel bothered about your time.

ss

Postby magikwalt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:00 pm

I am going to try and slow down the first 4000 ft of the hike in hopes of reaching a pace that allows me to walk through without stopping. My stoppage time for the last 2500ft of elevation is over 4 times higher than the entire hike leading up to that point. Luckily San Jacinto is likely to stay right there and let me practice a lot more.

I'm guessing that you, Andy and I are about the same age so it is encouraging to see you guys moving along at such a great pace. Hope to see you there in a couple weeks. If so, I'll try to stand and say Hello as you go by. :oops:
magikwalt

pace

Postby guest » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi Magikwalt,
That's a smart move to find a reasonable pace for your fitness, I start slower than a few regular guys & land up w/ consistent fast times.
Granted, the overall experience is more important than the time it takes (the joy indeed, is in the journey), but when you do it most every wkend, it's a fun game, maybe like golfers, in an aerobic way.

There's a place you can find where you are at your optimum level of performance for your fitness level, so if we keep the "machine" fueled, hydrated & cool, you'll see real improvement.

There's no place like the zone.

As we get fitter, we can maintain a stronger pacew w/ the same amount of exersion.

Hope to see you on the trail again, keep an eye out, I saw buzz-tails (rattlers) at 7k 2 wks in a row.

ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains