Skier wants to ski down Snow Creek

General Palm Springs area.

Skier wants to ski down Snow Creek

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat May 20, 2006 6:36 pm

A skier named Scott on the sgwa message board wants to know if you know of anyone who has skied down Snow Creek
http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/msg/1148161589.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Perry » Mon May 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Cy, I have to say you really know how to come up with a title that gets people's attention. :-)

I would like to point out to everyone that even if you are an amazing skier, it's much less dangerous to ski the north face of San Gorgonio. There are no trees and it's less steep, less chance of avalanches. There's more room and freedom to reach higher speeds. Also less rocky I believe, and when the snow does melt in the spring, I think the limber pine bushes would start showing before the rocks poke through. Somebody please comment on this if you are more familiar with skiing San Gorgonio...

Regarding climbing the north face of San Jacinto....people have died trying this. This is a hardcore alpine climb, not some walk-in-the-park with the dog, family, and a picnic. I heard that on one of the recovery operations, somebody stepped on the guy's body with crampons because he was embedded in the ice. The coroner thought it was unusual to see so many holes in the body. Anyways, for anybody who actually wants to do this, please think carefully and do a lot of research and practice before attempting this climb. There is also technical rock climbing involved. If you get hurt you will be stuck there for awhile, as it is very remote and difficult to access.
Perry
Site Admin

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains