C2C This Weekend - April 14th

General Palm Springs area.

C2C This Weekend - April 14th

Postby kellie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:30 am

Hi everyone -

For months now I've been reading your great stories and advice for hiking in and around San Jacinto. I've finally decided to become a member of your forum and join in the fun. :D

I've backpacked up San Jacinto from the Idyllwild side before and am planning on taking a small group (3-4 people) for a day hike (or early morning hike as the case may be) up the C2C trail (to the tram) this weekend (April 14th). We are all experienced hikers are really looking forward to the trip, but are a bit nervous about the trail conditions (snow/ice) and also not having done it before, the route. None of us own crampons/snow shoes/etc. so any advice you have on if we’ll be okay without the extra equipment would be great!

Any chance one or more of you would be up for a hike with us this Saturday? I’m anxious to get to know you all better and would welcome the company of someone who has done this trail before!

Thanks so much - this is a great forum, and I look forward to meeting you all soon!
kellie

c2c this weekend - April 14

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:37 pm

I cant make it on April 14 but I am sure someone else on this board will go.
Here is another group that is going
http://arizonahikers.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=75563
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi Kellie. Welcome to the board. I had actually posted a reply some time earlier, but it didn't appear. Anyway, don't worry about snow and ice - there's nothing on the way up to the tram (I was up there last Saturday) and all reports are that there's nothing to worry about from the tram on up. I might do Skyline again next weekend - if so I hope to see you on the trail. If not, there will be plenty of others going up.

z
zippetydude

Postby kellie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks to you both for the good advice. We're looking forward to the hike this weekend. We'll be starting at Ramon Rd. about 4am (give or take) if anyone wants to join us!

Looking forward to meeting several of you on the trail in the upcoming months -
kellie

Skyline

Postby guest » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Kellie,
Your hike will be a real adventure, this is a tough, but rewarding hike.
I believe this climb is a lot about energy mgmt, (I've done the trail too many times to count).
My suggestion is to have a Camelbak w/ 2 bladders, one for water, one for energy/ electro replacement.
I'd bring at least! a gallon, as it may take your 6-8 hrs.
I also like to have a small fanny pack w/ my bars, snacks, carb-gel, personal effects, this way you can get to it w/ out taking your pack off.
If you stop too many times to eat & drink, it makes for a looong day.
Keep hydrated (drink lots the day before), keep fueled, keep the sun off of you, keep your spirits up,
Enjoy!

ss

Postby LeslieL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi Kellie,

I second Guest's suggestions.

I hiked this last weekend for the first time. I drank 3.5 liters of water plus 12 oz. of coconut water (gatorade upsets my stomach); I ate one energy bar, some trail mix, and a bag of cheezits. Even though my food was in a pouch at my waist I had trouble eating on the trail and I "bonked" several times. Fortunately I had Gu that helped me recover and keep moving but you don't want to get that low in the first place (it feels awful). It's been suggested to me that I should have been replenishing my carbs from the start and consistently - in the form of gels, gatorade, etc - and I think that makes good sense. Read the previous post "C2C April 7" for more on this topic.

That said, I hope you have a wonderful time. It's a unique trip and well worth the effort.

Leslie
LeslieL

Nutrition for C2C

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:31 am

Howdy Kellie,

I also agree with Guest's suggestions -- I've posted what I do below. As Leslie noted, check out the thread of posts on this topic on the April 7 post as well.

1) Make sure you're adequately rested, hydrated, and nourished going into the hike. I always rest the day before a big hike and also eat more calories than usual (emphasizing carbohydrate). This helps ensure that your fuel stores (muscle and liver glycogen) are optimal. I particularly enjoy Mexican food -- beans, rice, and tortillas.
2) Consume a pre-hike meal containing carbohydrate and protein. I generally eat a carton of yogurt (it's too early for me to eat more). You could also drink a liquid meal like Boost, Ensure, or Carnation Instant Breakfast or eat oatmeal with fruit. I drink 16 ounces of fluid right before I start hiking.
3) During hiking, I recommend consuming 30-60 grams of carbohydrate per hour. I take in 25 grams or so from carbohydrate gels and get another 14 grams of so from Gatorade each hour.
3) Start taking in carbohydrate and fluid as early as 15-30 minutes into the hike to maintain blood glucose and replace fluid losses. I do this by drinking Gatorade Endurance which provides both carbohydrate and water. You can also do it by drinking Coco-Water or consuming water, bars and/or carbohydrate gels.
Coco-water has 17 grams of carbohydrate and 65 mg of sodium per 11 oz. The carbohydrate is adequate (comparable to Gatorade Endurance) but lower in sodium (65 mg versus about 280 for Gatorade Endurance or 155 for regular Gatorade).
4) Carbohydrate raises your blood sugar, protein keeps it from falling. Taking in small amounts of protein can help maintain your blood glucose on long hikes.
5) If you use a sports bar, choose one's that are rapdily digested (low in fat) that also has some protein. Make sure you drink ample fluid (at least 8 ounces) when you eat the bar or you can feel like you have a rock in your gut.
6) The heat can kill your appetite and decrease your intake, thereby increasing your risk of developing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and bonking. I find that I tolerate gels better than bars in the heat. Zippetydude Stan mentioned that Access gels have some protein, so that's another option.
7) Make sure your fluid and energy supplies are readily accessable -- as Guest mentioned. I use a Camelbak in my day pack for my fluid and can easily pull the gels out of the side pockets. If you have to haul fluid or fuel out of your pack, it makes it harder to hydrate and fuel yourself properly.
8) Please check the April 7 thread for sodium recommendations to prevent heat cramps.
9) I concur with Guest's and others' recommendations to carry 4 quarts of fluid.
Skyline is brutal. I find that I have to be religious about my pace, fluid, and carbohydrate intake or I die at Flat Rock and struggle to reach the tram.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 am

Everyone's suggestions are excellent. Just would add, don't forget sunblock! As far as food, someone I once met on the trail (I think his name was Larry) swore that a real lunch (i.e. a sandwich, etc.) was essential, not just gu, gels, etc., and I would concur for SKyline/C2C, at least for us slower hikers. For a first-timer who doesn't know her speed, it might take you 8 to 10 hours, so a midday meal is important.

I so agree with Guest that energy management is the key to success (or failure!) on this trail. Attend carefully to your heartrate and breathing throughout. Esp. on a first trip, it's very important not to push yourself, because the last stretch is definitely the hardest. I have noticed that many first-timers push themselves too hard on the first third, then become exhausted and can't make it all the way. Make sure you are never working above the rate at which you can hold a short exchange-conversation with your friends. Don't stop and start. Slow and steady is the key for the first time. If you are working above this rate for any length of time, you will burn out and bonk on the latter portion of the trail--which is where most of the rescues are.

I'm sure you will all do great, have fun ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 am

Howdy Kellie :D

As a blond haired, blue eyed, fair-skinned hiker who only burns, I heartily agree with Cynthia on the necessity of sun-block 8)

She and Guest are right -- the key to enjoying and surviving Skyline is to pace yourself properly in the early section (up to Shade Rock) and mid section (up to Flat Rock) of the climb. Nutrition can only do so much :oops: I've gone too fast too early and had to lay down in the shady area at Flat Rock for an hour before hitting the final section.

I also agree with Cynthia regarding the benefits of "real food." I always carry a sandwich and baked Doritos. Sometimes I eat the sandwich at Flat Rock, sometimes at the Notch at Long Valley.

Have fun -- I wish I could go again this weekend.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby kellie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:31 pm

You guys are great!! These are fantastic suggestions! I've also forwarded the link to the others in my group so they can learn from you guys too. We're really looking forward to it!

Do you think 4am is a good start time? I'm figuring it will probably take 8-10 hours as cynthia23 suggested and I most definitely am of the mind set that slow and steady is the far better way to go. Esp. being our first time up!

I'm a bit concerned about the route...I've read as much info. as I can find on the internet and it looks like it's pretty straightforward, but are there any areas I should keep an eye out for that are especially tricky?

Thanks again – I am so thankful for all your help/advice before we hit the trail!! :D

And definitely say hi if you pass us newbie’s on the way up, we'll be keeping an eye out for you!
kellie

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains