Anybody done the Marion trail recently?

General Palm Springs area.

Anybody done the Marion trail recently?

Postby zippetydude » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm thinking about doing the PCT to the peak this Saturday, but want to know if the snow and ice are gone before I make plans. Any word on trail conditions up at the higher elevations?

Thanks for any help. If no one knows, it sounds like Skyline will be busy, so maybe I'll just go there and have a chance to see some of you folks out there on the trail. It's all good.

z
zippetydude

Postby Martin Johnson » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:19 pm

Take a look at my posting about condition from Humber Park.
There may be snow on the switchbacks above Little Round Valley, but it is probably very manageable. If in doubt, do the Humber Park to Summit route and you're fine.
Martin Johnson

Postby phydeux » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:56 pm

I stayed at Little Round Valley two weekends ago after coming from the Tram and down from the peak. The trail down from the peak did have some snow, but it was easy to go through at mid-afternoon (maybe 6" deep max, average about 3", and that was 2 weeks ago). Coverage was about 75% of the ground on that side of the mtn. Water was flowing at LRV's small creek in mid afternoon. Can't give you any conditions below LRV, but if there's been warm weather in the Inland Empire the last two weeks you should be fine. Using trail runners shouldn't be a problem, but you might want to bring some 'shorty' gaiters just in case you have to keep any residual snowy mush out of your shoes in mid-afternoon.
phydeux

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:18 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the conditions update. I think I'll hold off for a couple of weeks to make sure it's all melted off. It's a long way on the PCT route, and I want the trail to be as easy as possible for the trip.

z
zippetydude

Postby Martin Johnson » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Mr. Z.
I just read Mountain Goat's account of his trip to the summit up Deer Srpings. He said there was no problem with snow, and his round trip time testifies to both that and his fitness. Mountain Goat, indeed.
Martin Johnson

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains