For those who start at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m...

General Palm Springs area.

For those who start at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m...

Postby zippetydude » Thu May 18, 2006 11:26 am

Do you guys see any snakes that early? I've gotten a little spooked by seeing snakes every time I go up lately, but I've been hitting the trail at 5:30 or 6:00.

The thought occurs to me that snakes may not be up that early, or it may be too cool for them to be active. On the other hand, it would be much easier to accidentally step on one with all the shadows that are cast when using a flashlight.

Any thoughts or experiences?

z
zippetydude

Snakes on the trail

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 18, 2006 2:40 pm

I have seen snakes at night in July and August. Generally speaking they are active when the temperature is above 60 degrees. Warm nights in June could also bring them out, but it is far more likely when the sun is out. I never go so fast as I cant see where I am stepping. If I do see one I dont mess with them. They dont want to get involved with a large target (famous last words)
Many of their strikes are dry bites because you are a moving target, but that is the worst case senario. Dont sit on a rock with space underneath it. I only see them five percent of the time. I am not a gambler. I dont let wild stories freak me out. The later your start, the more chance you have of running in to them.
Mountain Lions anyone!
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains