C2C April 7

General Palm Springs area.

Postby LeslieL » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:59 pm

I'm feeling some nervouseness about my first Skyline hike tomorrow - but looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail :D

Leslie
LeslieL

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:18 pm

No worries, Leslie! You'll have lots of company, and people are very supportive out there on the trail. Want me to bring you an otter pop?

z
zippetydude

C2c April 7

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Leslie - I wish could trade with you for it being the first time. You remember this great sense of accomplishment for the rest of your hiking days. The more nervous you are, the greater the euphoria when you reach Long Valley. :)
If you are reasonably fit there is nothing to worry about. You will get lots of support on the way, and a high five when you get there. Then you celebrate at the tram station and enjoy a well earned ride down.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby LeslieL » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:22 pm

It's been years and years since I had a cherry otter pop! (hint) Well, we're hitting the road for P.S. now - just in time for a big bowl of pasta and (hopefully) a good nights sleep.

Leslie
LeslieL

Postby KathyW » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:35 pm

Ellen - I figured you were posting because you like to hike or trail run like everyone else here - I never thought you were trying to promote your books, but info on nutrition is always helpful. I hope to see you on the trail.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby SoCalTim » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:56 pm

I am also pretty new to this site.

I look forward to meeting some new people on skyline tomorrow. (Probably heading out between 5 and 6)

Tim
SoCalTim

Skyline trail - April 7

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:00 pm

It was a busy day on Skyline today. I made it up to the tram with first timers Leslie and her friend Carla in eight and a half hours. Ellen started an hour later than us and reached Long Valley an hour ahead of us. Thanks Ellen for chasing the two rattlers away for us. Zippedydude passed us at 4000 feet and got rid of some of the orange dots. Thanks for that. I took up three empty plastis gallon containers. Thanks to Sid of Alaska for giving us a ride back to the car. I was able to make a three o clock appointment in Fontana in the nick of time.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby LeslieL » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks again, Cy, for taking us up Skyline on Saturday. All the information posted here was very helpful, but having an experienced guide on the trail was a real treat.

It was great to meet (be passed by) Ellen and Zippetydude along the way - and thanks to Sid and Karen for the ride! Ellen, the congratulatory Smarties sure hit the spot. Next time let's have that cool drink.

All-in-all an awesome and unforgettable day.

All the best,
Leslie
LeslieL

Postby Ellen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:01 am

I was so happy to meet Cy -- the legend of C2C. I knew I had packed those Smarties for a special reason and meeting Cy, Leslie, and Carla was the reason :D

I felt great and had my fastest climb ever -- 5:38. I'm convinced it was due to joining this forum and connecting with such wonderful people virtually and on the trail

I was heading up through the manzanita after flat rock and heard the rattling sound that always makes my blood run cold. A big brown rattler was slithering off the trail into a manzanita bush off to my right. I helped him along with several pokes of my pole and then jogged up to the next switch back. Amazing what epinephrine can do 8)

Just about the time I felt safe (almost in the pines), I heard a much louder rattling sound coming from a bush off to my right. I couldn't see the blasted snake but knew it had to be a big one based on the loudness of the rattle. I put my poles in front of me, prayed, and scampered sideways by the bush.

Zippetydude Stan caught me at about 7000 ft -- it was an awesome experience to meet him. He reassured me that rattlers are rarely above this altitude. That was great news as my heart rate was already near its limit due to the effort of the climb :oops: He went ahead of me and continued his good Samaritan task of obliterating the orange spots on the rocks.

The draft beer at the tram tasted great. I met Andy and a female companion who reached the tram an hour ahead of me. I hung around savouring the day, chatting, and drinking beer with Mick from Cardiff. As we went to ride the tram down, we met another small group of hikers from Riverside who had done their first C2C. A really nice fellow who had summited San Jacinto from the tram gave us a ride down. He wants to do C2C -- I encouraged him to join this forum.

It was also great to meet Cynthia at the desert museum. I look forward to my next climb and will think of all of you on the trail next weekend while I'm out of town.

Bless You All and Miles of Smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby KathyW » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:42 am

I guess I was the caboose yesterday. I didn't start up from the museum until a few minutes before 6 am and make pretty good time (for me) until Flat Rock. The heat was really bad from Flat Rock until the trees and just killed me - my first experience with cramps in my legs. I made it to Long Valley just a few minutes after 1 pm.
KathyW

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains