C2C April 7

General Palm Springs area.

C2c April 7

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:06 am

Thanks for the kind words Leslie and Ellen. There are lots of Legends on Skyline but they are not message board/forum addicts like I am. I am talking about Doreen in particular and Andy, Scott etc and Sid Davis and Wanda before that. Sid climbed San Jacinto 643 times - every conceivable way including Snow Creek and Cactus to Clouds before the tram was built.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Ellen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:54 pm

I also had problems with the heat when I hiked three weeks ago on a Sunday. I left at 6 AM and hit the tram at 1 PM. When I hit the trees, I literally laid down in the middle of the trail to let my core temperature cool off. I'm glad none of you stepped over my body that day :oops:

Shameless plug for Cactus2Clouds Perry -- thank you for your website and this forum. I discovered the site after that hike.

I've had muscle cramps on this hike at Flat Rock and can attest that they're awful.

Heat cramps are caused by an imbalance of the body's water and electrolyte (primarily sodium) concentrations. Heat cramps are caused by losing too much fluid (dehydration) and/or loosing too much sodium from sweating. Some athletes are salty sweaters (sweat stings the eyes and clothes are covered with salt) and are at greater risk of heat cramps.

If you drink enough fluid to nearly replace your sweat losses and still cramp, you probably need more sodium. I recommend consuming about 800 milligrams of sodium for every 2 lb (1 quart) of sweat lost.

There are many ways to replace sweat sodium losses during endurance exercise (I provide these guidelines for triathletes but they're also appropriate for hikers):
1) Use a sports drink with a higher sodium content such as Gatorade Endurance or PowerBar Endurance. One qaurt of Gatorade Endurance has 800 mg of sodium.
2) Use a carbohydrate gel with a higher sodium content such as some of the PowerBar gels. PowerBar gels that have 4X sodium provide 200 mg per gel.
3) Use a low dose (300 to 500 mg) sodium tablet every 1 to 2 hours.
4) Carry those little salt packets from fast food restaurants. One half teaspoon of salt has 1000 mg of sodium. I believe the packets have a 1/4 teaspoon of sodium (500 mg).
5) Check out E-lyte or Hydrolite (per Guest's earlier post)
6) Carry salty snacks such as pretzels and baked chips.

If you drink water or other low-sodium fluids, consider options 2-6.
Heat cramps can be avoided by staying hydrated and consuming enough sodium.

Don't over-drink. If you drink more fluids than you're losing in sweat, you can dilute the sodium level in your blood and develop hyponatremia (low blood sodium). This causes brain swelling and associated symptoms. Hyponatremia usually occurs in endurance events lasting 4 hours or more. There are case studies of Grand Canyon hikers developing hyponatremia. It has also been observed in long runs and triathlons.

If you gain weight after a long hike, you're overdrinking.

Bottom line -- drinking too little or too much fluid can be dangerous.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby KathyW » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:17 pm

I've been on a low-sodium diet since last November due to some health problems. I feel so much better now that I don't eat at McDonalds, but now I see I have another issue to deal with - hiking and electrolytes. Maybe I just need to allow myself to be on a high-sodium diet the days I hike and assume my body needs the salt those days.

I guess I'll do more research on this issue.
KathyW

Postby SoCalTim » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:22 pm

I had a fun hike on Saturday.
I believe the only person I saw on Skyline from this site was KathyW.

Met some people from ODC and hiked with them to the summit.
Temps were in the 40's at the peak with some strong gusts.

All in all, it was a great C2C hike.
SoCalTim

Postby KathyW » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:55 am

Tim - Where did you pass me?

Kathy
KathyW

Postby SoCalTim » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:45 pm

KathyW wrote:Tim - Where did you pass me?

Kathy

I do not remember the elevation, but I was with a group of five.
SoCalTim

Postby KathyW » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:46 pm

Oh - Tim you were part of the Outdoors Club group. You guys sure did a great job braving that heat and going on to the summit. Congrats!
KathyW

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains