What are typical winter conditions like?

General Palm Springs area.

What are typical winter conditions like?

Postby Newmountaineer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:22 pm

I realize that this season has likely been quite different than most since we've had such a drought. This is really the first season I've paid much attention to our local snow conditions. So, I'm wondering what a typical winter is like, if there is such a thing. I know it varies widely from year to year but how much snow is there usually up on San Jacinto this time of year? How long does it typically stay up there? Does the snowpack frequently cover the vegetation higher on the mountain and allow for direct ascents up some of the taller peaks?
Newmountaineer

Postby phydeux » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Typical conditions, as you allude to, can vary from year to year. From my years of going up San J, it'll get snow starting around late November. Peak snow will come the second half of January, then it starts to melt off in late Feb. By beginning of April you'll see patches of green/brown in the snow, and by the end of April it'll be patches of snow on the fields of green and brown.

Snow depths can vary widely - the Tram side of the peak gets about 50% less snow than the western side. Snow build-up also varies from season to season - I've seen the outhouses around Round Valley buried in snow in January. And don't trust the snow depths you see around the Tram or Long Valley areas, since Tram visitors trample it down pretty quickly.

Winter usually obliterates the trails. Peakbagging San J from the Tram is easier by going straight up from Tamarak Valley; snow usually covers, or at least fills in, all the chaparell. Due to all the trees and exposed shrubbery, and highly variable snow conditions, snowshoes are typically more useful than XC skis. On the western side, the trailheads are covered in snow, and routefinding can become difficult. Best west side approach is usually from Humbar Park, since the southern exposure helps keep the snow levels down).

Temps can vary wildly too. I've experienced 0F in Round Valley at sunrise, and 50F at midday at the peak, both on a clear, calm winter day.

If you're driving to the peak through the San Gorgonio Pass, don't trust the snow levels you see on the north side (Snow Creek drainage) - that stuff holds on long into spring.
phydeux

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains