Up the Lonely Mountain

General Palm Springs area.

Up the Lonely Mountain

Postby zippetydude » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Hey, where was everybody today? I didn't see anyone on Skyline the whole way up.

Too bad, too, because the forest service did some temporary improvements and the trail was flat and level the whole way. They said it'll be back to its normal incline in the next day or two, so sorry if you missed it.

I may have passed Cy on the Tram Road at about 5:30 a.m. Was that you, Cy? I couldn't really see (I was the guy on the mountain bike with that pathetic little light trying to ride down without shooting off the side of the road in the darkness) but the person's voice sounded like yours.

z
zippetydude

Up the lonely mountain

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:58 pm

Hey Stan - That was me on the tram road because of a sore ankle. Did my accent give me away?. You must have been going more than forty miles an hour. I saw two lights a couple of feet apart and heard a whoosh. I am still trying to figure out why two lights.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:45 pm

So it was you. Yes, it was the accent that gave you away. If you ever rob a bank, better use a note - they'd catch you in a minute if you spoke! Sorry to hear about the ankle, hope it heals up quickly.

I had two lights because they're both very small and dim - fine when I'm on foot, but not good enough on a bike. I found I had to ride on the yellow line down the middle because that was the only way I could see where I was going. (Even then it was touch and go a couple of times. :shock: )

You're right, I was going kinda fast - not because I wanted to, but because my mountain bike is old and the brakes don't work real well, especially while I'm trying to hold a light in each hand. It did make for an adventure, though!

Incidentally, have you ever done the San Sevaine truck trail going up out of Lytle Creek just about a mile north of the 15 fwy on Sierra? I used to run and mountainbike on that trail. It has some great views of the valley on clear days when the winds are in. I think you live pretty close to there, don't you?

z
zippetydude

Up the lonely mountain

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Yes, I have been up the creek a few times :) Here are a couple of links -
http://tchester.org/sgm/hikes/other/100gs.html
http://tchester.org/sgm/trails/stockton_flat.html

I will be back on Skyline next Saturday
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:36 pm

yes, someday i would like to do the hike from rancho cucamonga to cucamonga peak
marmot

Postby KathyW » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:50 am

Zip - any snow on the Skyline trail?
KathyW

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Kathy, Zip and Cy. I did Skyline on Saturday (started late) and there was not a bit of snow, except for two off-trail patches in the 2nd to last chute, both about a yard wide. That's it, nothing at all, even for ultra-ice-paranoid me. Bring some raspberry syrup and you can make a snow cone!
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

marmot is my hero

Postby antler » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:27 am

Marmot dude, you're my hero. You're awesome. You should have a huge foam finger made up with "I'm #1" on it. In fact I bet you could wear two of them while climbing Mt. Everest naked. You go dude.
antler

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains